Old 22-05-2006, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jo

Default Blueberry leaves going brown

Hi all,
I planted a blueberry bush a couple of weeks ago. It has had nothing but
rainwater (as advised) and was planted in ericaceous compost (again, as
advised). However, a large number of the leaves have started to go brown -
either at the tips or down the middle section. We had a few very hot days a
couple of weeks ago and I thougt that maybe the leaves had got scorched, but
it's been unbelievably windy and wet ever since. I can't work out what is
happening to my plant. I am in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex. If anyone has any
ideas, please let me know.
Thanks,
Jo

Old 23-05-2006, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Fo you know what the pH of your soil is? Blueberries like a pH of 4.5 to 6.
Any higher and you have to amend the soil to make it more acidic.

They also like to be watered every third day or so, especially when putting
fruit, but must be planted so the excess waster will drain off quickly.

I am going to try to send you a copy of my blueberry planting information.
If you dont get it, and want me to try again, send me your e-mail address.

Dwayne (in Kansas)

Old 23-05-2006, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Jo wrote:
Hi all,
I planted a blueberry bush a couple of weeks ago. It has had nothing but
rainwater (as advised) and was planted in ericaceous compost (again, as
advised). However, a large number of the leaves have started to go brown -
either at the tips or down the middle section. We had a few very hot days a
couple of weeks ago and I thougt that maybe the leaves had got scorched, but
it's been unbelievably windy and wet ever since. I can't work out what is
happening to my plant. I am in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex. If anyone has any
ideas, please let me know.

If they are not sheltered, perhaps our weather has been a bit hard on
them. I keep checking on mine and just think because they're sheltered
with a good drainage, they're ok. It's been so hot indeed and then
rained so hard, a lot of plants have suffered. Mine are in plastic
pots, lowered in a raised bed with gravel at the bottom. Is yours right
in the ground? Two weeks is long enough for the plant to react to the
surrounding compost if in the ground. You must make sure of the right
PH all around it, hence better to have them in pots if your garden is
not appropriate.

Old 23-05-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jo

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jo wrote:
[...]

My plant is in a plastic pot in the right soil ph, so it shouldn't be that
that is the problem.