Old 20-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Registered User

Default Rhododendron

Hi,

I'm looking to plant some rhododendrons in a bed about 4m x 1m. The spot is very sunny and has previously grown a few daffodils, bluebells and tulips. I want them to fill the space eventually, grow no higher than 1m and be of the evergreen variety. I'm yet to test the acidity of the soil.

Just looking for advice on which species I should go for, how many I should plant and what the best time of year is to buy/plant them....plus anything else which may be of use to me!

Thanks in advance!
Old 20-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered User

Sorry, forgot to say it's the lovely big purple and pink flowers that often line long a winding drive ways that I like best ...just noticed on Wikipedia how many different varieties/species there are!

Old 21-06-2009, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ernie Willson wrote in
:

Based on my experience Rhodys do not grow well in sunny places.
I'd plant something else.

i don't know any that stay shorter than a meter, either.
i think what the OP might want is azaleas? they love sun & some stay
really small (i have one that's over 10 years old & about a foot
high. it gets wider, but not taller)
lee
Old 23-06-2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi Carolyn,

There are lots of rhododendrons that will do what you want in most
temperate climates. You didn't mention where you live, the hardiness
zone and climate.

In most temperate zones, the Yaks (hybrids of Rhododendron yakushimanum)
and many of the small leaved varieties will do what you want. The
American Rhododendron Society has a website to help you pick plants. It
is at :

http://www.rhododendron.org/search_multi.htm

On this page select the height, and hardiness for your area and it will
list those that fit. Then look to see if they are recommended for full
sun or are to be avoided for full sun.

Another page recommends plants for each part of the US:

http://www.rhododendron.org/performers_intro.htm

Then you can look up these plants to see if they do well in full sun.

A couple of the hardiest small plants a

Anna H. Hall: very heat and sun tolerant
Weston's Aglo: sun tolerant

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html

[IMG] code is On

Rhododendron limey Gardening 3 11-04-2003 11:08 PM
rhododendron problem Andy Gardening 7 11-04-2003 02:44 PM
Rhododendron question Craig L. Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Pests in Verbena and Rhododendron Peter James United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
rhododendron litangense questions from Oregon Doonemd Bonsai 0 26-03-2003 03:20 PM