Old 23-06-2009, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default composting question

I hope this isn't a dumb question. I just cleared my pond of scum or algae
over growth. I raked it up and got quite a good sized pile. The question I
have is would this stuff be good to put in my compost bin?
Thanks for your opinions.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4181 (20090623) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 23-06-2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

I hope this isn't a dumb question. I just cleared my pond of scum or algae
over growth. I raked it up and got quite a good sized pile. The question I
have is would this stuff be good to put in my compost bin?
Thanks for your opinions.

database 4181 (20090623) __________

http://www.eset.com

Tis Gold.

Bill and in time it all rots.

Reading stuff if inclined I tend to just aerate and move it about.

http://compost.css.cornell.edu/marke...anizations.htm

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives
Old 23-06-2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:28:59 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

I hope this isn't a dumb question. I just cleared my pond of scum or algae
over growth. I raked it up and got quite a good sized pile. The question I
have is would this stuff be good to put in my compost bin?
Thanks for your opinions.

Algae is a plant. Nearly all plants can be added to the compost. I
add about 2 cubic yards of elodea from my pond to a composting bin
every month. The algae in my pond gets eaten by tadpoles and
goldfish.

Old 24-06-2009, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dave wrote:
I hope this isn't a dumb question. I just cleared my pond of scum or
algae
over growth. I raked it up and got quite a good sized pile. The
question I
have is would this stuff be good to put in my compost bin?
Thanks for your opinions.

Yes, mix it in with high carbon material in layers.

David