Old 24-06-2009, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pests on cleome

Last year my cleome were infested with some kind of black and yellow
beetle in late summer so I pulled them up and got rid of them. This
year their seeds sprouted some nice looking plants, but I've
discovered green worms on the lower leaves and they are skeletonizing
the leaves. Are these worms larvae of those black and yellow
beetles? How do I get rid of these pests? TIA.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 23, 8:33*pm, starrysmile wrote:
Last year my cleome were infested with some kind of black and yellow
beetle in late summer so I pulled them up and got rid of them. *This
year their seeds sprouted some nice looking plants, but I've
discovered green worms on the lower leaves and they are skeletonizing
the leaves. *Are these worms larvae of those black and yellow
beetles? *How do I get rid of these pests? *TIA.

Okay, I found out that the beetles are probably harlequin beetles. I
still don't know what the greern worms are. Nevertheless, I'm going
to spray them with something because they are working fast to kill my
plant.
Old 24-06-2009, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

You're right--The bug that you saw was most likely the nymphs of Harlequin
bugs. No idea what the green works are. Try googling "green worms on
cleome." Last year, after looking in my insect books and not figuring our
what the bugs on my Cleome were, I googled "bugs on cleome" and quickly
discovered that they were Harlequin bug nymphs. Only the adults were in my
books. I got rid of the bugs by pulling up the infested cleome and putting
it in a plastic bag and disposing of it.

Old 24-06-2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 24, 7:44*am, "Compostman"
wrote:
[...]

Cabbageworms! Thank you, Compostman.

[IMG] code is On

Garden Pests - How To Get Rid Of Garden Pests And Keep Your GardenHealthy! fryedaddy Gardening 4 01-02-2008 05:01 AM
cleome from seed Sue United Kingdom 1 01-05-2006 08:52 PM
Cleome Mark Anderson Gardening 23 16-07-2005 06:46 PM
cleome collapse Sue United Kingdom 0 26-06-2004 11:52 AM
Pests in Verbena and Rhododendron Peter James United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM