Old 25-06-2009, 09:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Harvertsing Basil

My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

Paul

Old 25-06-2009, 10:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook said:

My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

I cut the stems to harvest, even though I will only be using the leaves.
Basil needs to be cut back hard, to delay it going to seed.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 25-06-2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/25/2009 2:44 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Paul M. Cook said:

My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

I cut the stems to harvest, even though I will only be using the leaves.
Basil needs to be cut back hard, to delay it going to seed.

If any shoots show flower buds, pick those first. Discard the flower
buds; they are supposedly bitter. (I don't know if they are really
bitter because I always discard them.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 25-06-2009, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

Paul

I use the leaves, and the inflorescence, before it goes to flower. My
most pungent pestos are made with just the inflorescence.
Don't cut the stalk. Between the branch and the leaf, a new stalk will
push. Wait until it is formed to pick the original leaf.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 25-06-2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

et...
Paul M. Cook said:

My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just
the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

I cut the stems to harvest, even though I will only be using the leaves.
Basil needs to be cut back hard, to delay it going to seed.

If any shoots show flower buds, pick those first. Discard the flower
buds; they are supposedly bitter. (I don't know if they are really
bitter because I always discard them.)

Basil buds and flowers are considered a culinary luxury... they are a
wonderful edible garnish and are fantastic in salads, etc, even make a very
special pizza topping.

Old 25-06-2009, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook said:

My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

I cut the stems to harvest, even though I will only be using the leaves.
Basil needs to be cut back hard, to delay it going to seed.

If any shoots show flower buds, pick those first. Discard the flower
buds; they are supposedly bitter. (I don't know if they are really
bitter because I always discard them.)

If you are making pesto, the inflorescence is the best part of the plant.

Old 25-06-2009, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Paul M. Cook said:

My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just
the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

I cut the stems to harvest, even though I will only be using the leaves.
Basil needs to be cut back hard, to delay it going to seed.

If any shoots show flower buds, pick those first. Discard the flower
buds; they are supposedly bitter. (I don't know if they are really
bitter because I always discard them.)

If you are making pesto, the inflorescence is the best part of the plant.

New word for me maybe you too.

An inflorescence is a group or cluster of flowers arranged on a stem
that is composed of a main branch or a complicated arrangement of
branches. Strictly, it is the part of the shoot of seed plants where
flowers are formed and which is accordingly modified. The modifications
can involve the length and the nature of the internodes and the
phyllotaxis, as well as variations in the proportions, compressions,
swellings, adnations, connations and reduction of main and secondary
axes.
The stem holding the whole inflorescence is called a peduncle and the
main stem holding the flowers or more branches within the inflorescence
is called the rachis. The stalk of each single flower is called a
pedicel.
The fruiting stage of an inflorescence is known as an infructescence.
A flower that is not part of an inflorescence is called a solitary
flower and its stalk is also referred to as a peduncle.

So I take it the the most essential oils reside near the flowers and
are primo ? Sort of remember soaking rose petals in oil. Anyone know
of a study that relates to this and offers a table or graph?

Bill who just gets leaves of Basil here and places it on toast with
tomato and EVO. Perhaps some goat manchego , Feta or other Italian
cheese.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives
Old 25-06-2009, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Paul M. Cook said:

[...]

Down to this point, it is winery talk. Never talk about infructescence,
just clusters.
The fruiting stage of an inflorescence is known as an infructescence.
A flower that is not part of an inflorescence is called a solitary
flower and its stalk is also referred to as a peduncle.

So I take it the the most essential oils reside near the flowers and
are primo ?

Take it from a northern Californian boy. Oh, high officer. We were just
talking about grapes;O)), Yes.

Pesto can smell wonderful and taste so so. With inflorescences, you have
a chance to make pesto that just reeks of basil, no matter how much
galic you back fill with.
Sort of remember soaking rose petals in oil. Anyone know
of a study that relates to this and offers a table or graph?

Let me know if you come up with one. Such things can be useful when
lying on the floor at a wine tasting. (Last one standing is the loser;o)

Bill who just gets leaves of Basil here and places it on toast with
tomato and EVO. Perhaps some goat manchego , Feta or other Italian
cheese.

I'm more of the garlic, olive oil, basil, tomato, parmesan type, but
that's usually for lunch or dinner.

Old 25-06-2009, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Paul M. Cook said:

[...]

Garlic is a given )

Bill

Old 25-06-2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

A lot happens in a day. Today I discover many little white glowers all over
the tops of the stalks. Mom says to shave the plants down to 1/2 the
height. So it looks like pesto tonight - with flowers. This should be
interesting.

So I guess just hacking the tops off makes them grow bushier? It's really
amazing the schools of thought I am finding on this. Some people for
example say you only take the leaves and others just say whack away at them
they only grow more.

Gardening is such an inexact science it seems.

Paul

Old 26-06-2009, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

A lot happens in a day. Today I discover many little white glowers all over
the tops of the stalks. Mom says to shave the plants down to 1/2 the
height. So it looks like pesto tonight - with flowers. This should be
interesting.

So I guess just hacking the tops off makes them grow bushier? It's really
amazing the schools of thought I am finding on this. Some people for
example say you only take the leaves and others just say whack away at them
they only grow more.

Gardening is such an inexact science it seems.

Paul

Hmmm ...

Agriculture is the "Science" or practice of farming, including
cultivation of the soil for the growing of crops and the rearing of
animals to provide food, wool, and other products.

Horticulture is the "Art" or practice of garden cultivation and
management.

In my book, Gardening is mostly Art, some Science and dabble of Magic.

Same with Cooking... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 26-06-2009, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:34:29 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Paul M. Cook said:

My basil is growing like wildfre. Easy question, do you harvest just
the
leaves or do you ct the stems?

I cut the stems to harvest, even though I will only be using the
leaves.
Basil needs to be cut back hard, to delay it going to seed.

If any shoots show flower buds, pick those first. Discard the flower
buds; they are supposedly bitter. (I don't know if they are really
bitter because I always discard them.)

If you are making pesto, the inflorescence is the best part of the plant.

New word for me maybe you too.

Yep. Thankee Billy.

[...]

Hmmmm........flash from the past. Didn't know the word inflorescence,
but knew where the good stuff was.

Sort of remember soaking rose petals in oil. Anyone know
of a study that relates to this and offers a table or graph?

Bill who just gets leaves of Basil here and places it on toast with
tomato and EVO. Perhaps some goat manchego , Feta or other Italian
cheese.

Hungry now, post-midnite snack, thanks. Grabbing the torch and
heading to the garden for handful of basil........should I put on some
trousers?

Charlie, unable to sleep

After midnight, were gonna let it all hang down.
After midnight, were gonna chug-a-lug and shout.
Were gonna stimulate some action;
Were gonna get some satisfaction.
Were gonna find out what it is all about.
After midnight, were gonna let it all hang down.

~~~~Eric Clapton

Put on your pants Charlie. I think we've already aroused the good
burgers.

Old 26-06-2009, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Balvenieman wrote:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Easy question, do you harvest just the leaves or do you ct the stems?

I grow only the Greek basil called, "Spicy Globe", preferring its
anise-like flavor to the sassafrass-like flavor of other varieties

Sassafrass-like flavor of other varieties, Shirley, you jest? When I
think of root beer, I think of sassafrass. When looking for basil, I
look for "Genovese', or "di Genova" for that lemon, anise, clove flavor
that I love in pesto.
. I
just cut the stems with scissors. Fresh, I use/freeze leaves only but
before dehydrating, I suspend the entire stems, inverted, for a day and
remove the leaves after drying.
I prune closely and frequently to encourage branching and compact
growth but it has no effect on blossoming. For the variety that I grow,
inflorescence has no effect on the flavor; in fact the blossoms add
additional

(?)
when used as an ingredient.
I plant basil throughout the garden and let it blossom every year,
although, I do not let it set seed. The blossoms attract a wide variety
of native insects - a few of which may help in garden pollination -
although, they do necessitate rising pretty early to prevent a honeybee
infestation.

Oh, the horror of it ;O)

The only time I avoid Basil is when it is Fawlty.

Old 27-06-2009, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/25/2009 6:05 PM, Dan L. wrote:
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
[...]

In "Horticultural Science" (W. H. Freeman and Co., 1963), Jules Janick
(then a professor of horticulture at Purdue University) described
"agriculture" as referring broadly to the technology of raising plants
and animals. He then divided agriculture into "agronomy", which deals
with field crops, and "horticulture, which deals with garden crops.

However, Janick's "garden crops" are not only what we grow in our own
home gardens. He stated that they "include fruits and vegetables, all
the plants grown for ornamental purposes, as well as spices and
medicinals." He included commercial orchards, vineyards, and "truck
gardens" as within the scope of horticulture.

According to Janick, agronomy generally involves extensive land land
(large tracts with low input per acre) use while horticultural crops
involve intensive land use (smaller tracts with high input). Agronomy
thus deals with such field crops as grain, lumber, cotton, and tobacco;
these are crops that are often consumed or processed when dry or even
dead. Horticulture deals with such garden crops as vegetables and
fruits, including those commercially grown; these are crops that are
often consumed or processed when fresh and alive. (Sun-dried tomatoes
and raisins result from processing fresh crops.) Corn for animal feed,
oil, and corn meal is an agronomy crop; sweet corn eaten fresh is a
horticulture crop.

Old 27-06-2009, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 6/25/2009 6:05 PM, Dan L. wrote:
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
[...]

The definitions came from the dictionary for "Agriculture" and
"Horticulture". I tend to agree with the dictionary. I still believe
horticulture is more art than science. Many aspects to gardening, from
propagation of plants to landscape design. Science tends towards "How
things work". Art tends towards "What pleases the mind". For me
gardening tends towards "What pleases the mind". Those Roses look
fantastic with those purple Alliums.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

[IMG] code is On

Letting Basil Go To Seed (was: Keeping Basil) Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 1 13-11-2003 01:14 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM
hydroponic basil speeder Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:08 PM
gnats in my basil Eddie G Lawns 1 17-12-2002 09:11 AM