My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

Default My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

On Jul 6, 9:02*am, Frank wrote:
Way Back Jack wrote:
In this State, you're not allowed to trap and transport racs. *Anyway,
one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got
trapped. * Another time, the rac was able to somehow escape! *Two
other times I was successful in trapping them and shot them with a
.22, but it was a bitch removing the corpses from the traps. *

So I marinated a 12 oz. can of cat food in a bowl of antifreeze. *Set
it out near where the rac has been doing his damage. *Next morning,
the ground at the site was wet with antifreeze, suggesting that he
dumped it, and quite a bit of the cat food remained in the bowl which
was tossed about 20 yds. away. *

Do you know whether ACDelco Dex-Cool antifreeze contains denatonium
which is an embittering agent? *The ingredients list doesn't mention
it though, so maybe this is simply a rac who doesn't have a sweet
tooth for antifreeze. *I can only hope that the meat portion that he
did eat contained enough antifreeze to prevent his destructive return.

You're not allowed to do it here either but you can trap and kill.
Drowning may be better than .22 and from what you say, you may need a
bigger Hav-a-hart as I've seen it happen that trap would not completely
close on raccoon and he could get out.

You're also taking risks with poison which is generally not allowed and
you could kill an animal like someones pet. *Ethylene glycol is really
not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. *A sip or two
will not do it.

Actually, we've been doing some research on ethylene glycol in my lab
and it's pretty nasty. Small quantities can cause liver and kidney
failure, along with permanent brain damage. A fast search on PubMed or
Medline will bring up dozens of articles, including some from
veterinary journals.

Chris
Old 23-07-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Way Back Jack[_8_] View Post
[...]

Hello,
Problem is you're too f'n stupid to use conventional
means and have resorted to inhumane means. Make yourself a sandwich and
pour some on it.You're not allowed to do it here either but you can trap and kill. Drowning may be better than .22
__________________
http://Garden-Planters.com
Old 29-12-2016, 05:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens

replying to none, TexasTrill wrote:
Till yo ass has been attacked in your own home don't say shit peta bitch dogs
and cats have right but **** a racoon I agree with Jack and I have kids so
what's more important a filthy dangerous racoon or kids but your peta so I
know your answer

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ze-382552-.htm

Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 PM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Bob

replying to Way Back Jack, Bob wrote:
If it does contain the bittering agent or you suspect that it does, add
something to sweeten it, I have​ a coon that I have been hunting for a week,
won't go in a havahart trap, reaches in through the wire, digs under it,
flipped it over, I have staked it down with cement bricks on all sides,
covered​ it ECT, and still it gets the bait and doesn't spring the trap, I
have a garden and soon chickens that will be 20' from where it prowls, it got
into the trap 3 times yesterday 1 time while I was running a trip line to
catch it, sneaky ******. I didn't want to but seen no other choice, so I mixed
antifreeze with the bittering​ agent, brown sugar, powdered sugar, honey,
until it was like a paste then some milk, 3 slices of bread, 1 can cat food
and half a jar of peanut butter, note I used a lot of antifreeze, about four
cups worth, they say it only tskes a couple table spoons, but hey I wanted to
make sure, I put a bowl inside the cage trap with the blended mixture, a
closed it so no cat or other animals could get it only what has been getting
all the stuff in my would be compost pile and reaching in the trap, so this
morning bowl was completely empty, so I'd say it was a success. Hopefully this
battle will be over. Good luck to anyone that does the same, ohh and throw
away anything that the antifreeze touches of course

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ze-382552-.htm

Old 07-05-2017, 04:14 AM posted to alt.bitterness,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
gcs

replying to Way Back Jack, gcs wrote:
this is disgusting. raccoons are highly intelligent, sentient animals with
family structures. the onus is on all of you to proof your homes and
properties. so tired on the mad dash to pass on accountability to someone or
something else in this nation's society. look at yourself first. saddest bunch
of snowflakes ever who can't take responsibility for humane, preventive
measures (locks on cans like when camping). you encroached on them. not the
other way around.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ze-382552-.htm