Old 13-08-2009, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Identification: Plant - big, deep purple flowers, flowering now.

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:44:10 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Cheryl Isaak
writes
On 8/13/09 8:44 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:37:59 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/12/09 7:38 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:54:45 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Aug 12, 8:17 am, judybby
wrote:
I was visiting a public garden last weekend and came across this
beautiful plant/shrub. Could you help me identify what it is? It is in
flower now and I'd love to have more colour in my garden at this time
of year (mid August).
Plant/shrub 4-5 foot tall and 2 foot wide.
Flowering now.
Deep purple flower heads reminding me of a pinepple sage flowerhead in
shape, but not colour or size.
Deep glossy green leaves.
2 photos are here.
http://tinyurl.com/l89ahs

I've had a look in my books and through a plant search on Crocus, but
no avail.
Thanks in advance from a keen amateur.
Judith

--
judybby

Judy
Although the blooms look deep blue to me it could be
one of the Salvia guaranitica varieties
There are several: Argentine Skies, Black and Blue, Blue Ensign,
Purple Ensign
google Salvia guaranitica and you will find several photos to compare.
Emilie

It looks like asiatic daylily to me. They're in full bloom in middle
TN right now. I'm going by the second picture.

Kate - could be wrong

Daylilies are not blue - and the leaves are all wrong

This is the plant I think of as an asiatic daylily

http://tinyurl.com/nou6jn

That's a spiderwort - not a lily of any sort. Daylilies are hemorcallis.

It's arguable as to whether that is a spiderwort, spiderwort is
commonly understood as Tradescantia which has actinomorphic flowers,
rather than the zygomorphic flowers shown. The plant shown is probably
Commelina communis, which goes by the name oriental day*flower*.
(Wikipedia is our friend.)

For ease of googling, I'll mention that day-lilies are Hemerocallis.

Thanks, Stewart. That is what I was thinking of. Somehow dayflower and
daylily got crossed in my brain.

Kate
Old 13-08-2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 13, 6:16 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/13/09 7:25 AM, in article , "Val"

wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Do recall which one it was. There are only a few I can grow in my zone 5
garden and have live. (them winter winds really scour the long bed)

Cheryl

I don't know which one it was, Cheryl. I took a blossom stem to a nursery to
have it identified since I'd never seen a blue salvia at that time. All they
told me was that it was a salvia.

Val

I know how that goes. I wish salvia were a touch hardier, I love the blue

Thanks Val

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl
S. guaranitica is native to South America; Brazil, Paraguay,
Argentina.
the lowest zone I found was 7a, most say 8. one temp given was -12C.
I am in 8b or 9 and sometimes it freezes here unless it is in a very
protected
spot with mulch.
Possibly you could grow it as an annual, or maybe in a container (BIG
one)
and protect it over winter.
That blue is really "electric" and the cultivar 'Blue and Black' is
stunning!

Emilie
NorCal
Old 14-08-2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
NorCal

Heck, it gets that cold in my basement. Would it have the same impact as a
first year plant?

Cheryl

I planted a bunch of these that I purchased in 4" pots at about 12"
high. They were somewhat multi stemmed when we bought them.

Today, all the plants are over 3 feet high, and very bushy & multi
stemmed. A truly wonderful addition to our sun garden.

I'm in zone 7, Howard Co MD
Old 15-08-2009, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 14, 4:07 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/13/09 3:58 PM, in article
,

wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I was in B& N Bookstore today, looking a garden books, what else?
I took a look at S. gauranitica to see what I could find.
"Blue Enigma" was said to be the most cold hardy, to zone 7.
I would think that they would do pretty well as an annual. They are
very fast growers!
You could winter over cuttings.
Good luck if you decide to try this plant, let us know how it works
out.........
Em

Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered User

I have a large cluster like in my old garden (Zone 8). The hummingbirds love it. About every three years or so cut me 3-4 parts, give up everything, but to a large replanting. This is a lovely indestructible.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 13-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybby View Post
I was visiting a public garden last weekend and came across this beautiful plant/shrub. Could you help me identify what it is? It is in flower now and I'd love to have more colour in my garden at this time of year (mid August).
Plant/shrub 4-5 foot tall and 2 foot wide.
Flowering now.
Deep purple flower heads reminding me of a pinepple sage flowerhead in shape, but not colour or size.
Deep glossy green leaves.
2 photos are here.
Plant identification pictures by judyvbby - Photobucket

I've had a look in my books and through a plant search on Crocus, but no avail.
Thanks in advance from a keen amateur.
Judith
Hi Judith, Further to previous good answers, i also confirm its a salvia and i have become a great fan of these. Out of interest, one that has come through this very cold winter here in UK is a variety called 'Hot-Lips', its smothered with two lobed red and white flowers right up until the frosts and the foliage chopped finely and added to a salad dressing is very nice as well, its an aquired taste though !! Anyway, like most salvias, once you get a substantial bush, this foliage, although being cut back by hard frosts, does protect the lower branches somewhat and in anycase, most should be pruned hard in spring.
Lannerman