Old 11-10-2009, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree Identification?????????????

We are involved in geocaching and one we found was at the base of a
large banyan (strangler fig) tree. Around the base were some small
saplings growing so we snagged a few and brought them home. One was
tough and survived the transfer and is now a couple feet tall in the
back yard. Have been thinking this was a banyan tree until I saw some
saplings around my work that have the same leaf form on it. They
pulled these up at work so I snapped a picture of one that was laying
on the sidewalk.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res02mt8/TreeLeaf.jpg

Can someone identify what I have growing in my yard as it may not be a
tree I want. Was hoping it was a banyan but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
T2B T2B is offline

On Oct 11, 1:52*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
We are involved in geocaching and one we found was at the base of a
large banyan (strangler fig) tree. *Around the base were some small
saplings growing so we snagged a few and brought them home. *One was
tough and survived the transfer and is now a couple feet tall in the
back yard. *Have been thinking this was a banyan tree until I saw some
saplings around my work that have the same leaf form on it. *They
pulled these up at work so I snapped a picture of one that was laying
on the sidewalk.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res02mt8/TreeLeaf.jpg

Can someone identify what I have growing in my yard as it may not be a
tree I want. *Was hoping it was a banyan but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks!!!

http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/ima...?q=080601-5190

You decide.
Old 26-10-2009, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/ima...?q=080601-5190
You decide.

I have seen that most all banyan trees have pointed end oval shaped
leafs fairly uniformly shaped and curved down the sides. These leafs
are more oddly shaped and not the oval shape. Pretty much confirms
it's not banyan, but my question was and is, what is it?

Thanks!
Old 27-10-2009, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 26, 8:55 am, infiniteMPG wrote:
http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/ima...?q=080601-5190
You decide.

I have seen that most all banyan trees have pointed end oval shaped
leafs fairly uniformly shaped and curved down the sides. These leafs
are more oddly shaped and not the oval shape. Pretty much confirms
it's not banyan, but my question was and is, what is it?

Thanks!

To me it looks like Fiddle-leaf Fig
Ficus lyrata (F. pandurata)

Emilie
NorCal
Old 31-10-2009, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 26, 9:38*pm, mleblanca wrote:
On Oct 26, 8:55 am, infiniteMPG wrote:

http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/ima...?q=080601-5190
You decide.

I have seen that most all banyan trees have pointed end oval shaped
leafs fairly uniformly shaped and curved down the sides. *These leafs
are more oddly shaped and not the oval shape. *Pretty much confirms
it's not banyan, but my question was and is, what is it?

Thanks!

To me it looks like Fiddle-leaf Fig
Ficus lyrata *(F. pandurata)

Emilie
NorCal

Depends on what you mean by banyan. That may be any number of Ficus
species that are capable of growing multiple trunks. Ficus microcarpa
is perhaps the most typical. Also, many species of figs can become
stranglers if the seeds germinate up near the top of a tree. In your
case, snap one of the leaf stems. if it bleeds white, sticky latex,
you know it is some kind of fig.
Iris

Old 18-11-2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for the info and sorry for the late response, but looks like I
have a fig for sure. Was worried it was going to be some garbage tree
but looks like it's a keeper. Made it thru a pretty cold winter
already so hopefully it's set to stay and grow where it is.

Thanks!!!

[IMG] code is On

Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question?? MICHELLE H. Gardening 5 02-12-2009 10:01 PM
Tree Identification Chip G. Lawns 4 11-07-2003 09:24 PM
Help - Tree Identification (picts included) Scott Gardening 3 10-06-2003 03:08 AM
[IBC] Tree Identification Sean Nemecek Bonsai 5 25-05-2003 09:20 PM
Identification of pine tree from photo David Jones alt.forestry 1 05-03-2003 07:56 PM