Old 09-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Registered User

Default Yucca plant with no leaves!

Hi there,

I was given a spiraling Yucca plant that was just out of control. I
got a lot of people advising me to just bite the bullet and lop off
the uncontrolled growth and see if the Yucca takes off. So, intrepidly
I took the hacksaw and went through the trunk. I reported it, and put
it a nice aluminum planter.

This is what it now looks like:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5711/dscf1844p.jpg

Now there was some speculation that it would bud, though it hasn't yet
(about 2 months ago since I lopped it's head off).

Someone mentioned that I should stab the stem with a screwdriver where
I want it to branch out - can anyone verify this? Is there anything I
should / could be doing to promote some leaf growth? The trunk remains
rigid, and there is water and shingle in the base of the planter to
produce some natural moisture...

I did manage to keep the head and put it into another planter, and
it's looking good, though I've no idea if it's rooting:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/167/dscf1929.jpg

So, please, if you have any idea what I should do, please advise. The
Yucca trunk is in a warm area with as much light as I can give it in
my flat - right by a SE facing window!

Thanks in advance,

Tom.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:32 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrundy View Post
[...]

Hi,

I thought I'd update you with what happened after I lopped the top of
my Yucca off. It did nothing for 3 months, and then started sprouting
a new shoot which is growing really well

See the pic - http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/tjrund...10231550560338.

So the advice to chop the top off was a good call - now I'm wondering
whether it's going to sprout another branch on the other side, or
whether it's going to follow its previously malformed desire to sprout
its 2nd branch at 90 degs (rather than 180) to the first.

Any ideas what I might be able to do about that?

Thanks,

Tom.

[IMG] code is On

Can anyone ID this yucca-like plant (..and it's problem)? Jim xzy United Kingdom 21 26-04-2012 02:24 PM
Yucca plant tjrundy Gardening 3 30-07-2009 08:25 AM
Yucca plant How to cut shoots off & transplant them Rima Lawns 2 09-05-2007 10:54 PM
Can Yucca be successfully transplanted? When to plant mums? de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies Gardening 5 02-10-2005 09:09 AM
Yucca Plant amanda Gardening 8 18-10-2003 09:02 PM