Old 17-10-2003, 11:12 AM
amanda

Default Yucca Plant

Hi
I recently bought a yucca plant. I dont know if i am watering it too
much. Does anyone know how often you should water indoor plants at
this time of year?
Thank you
Old 17-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by amanda
Hi
I recently bought a yucca plant. I dont know if i am watering it too
much. Does anyone know how often you should water indoor plants at
this time of year?
Thank you
I have a large yucca, and they seem to be very thirsty. It's about 4 foot tall and is in a 5 gallon pot, and I often pour in a whole pint of water which it seems to asorb entirely. Aparently you should water a lot occasionally, not a little bit every day because they do like to dry out in between watering. You'll get used to your plants over time, I know mine needs one pint of water twice a week and feeding once a month, but the size of your's means it won't be the same.

Oh, and if you can it would prefer to be in a bathroom or kitchen for higher humidity, perhaps even a humidity tray under it would help? You can easily make your own with gravel on a plate.
Old 18-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

If you bought a Yucca to be grown as an indoor plant, you probably have
Yucca elephantipes.

The major problem with growing this plant is giving it enough light,
especially in the winter. A south or southwestern exposure is necessary.

In the winter, watering it thoroughly once a month is sufficient. It is a
xerophytic plant, so it requires far less water than most "house plants".

om...

Old 18-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Tina Gibson

My Yucca has grown over a foot in the last year in a very bright eastern
window. Since this is the first I have eer had I am wondering now based on
your comments Ceroeoid - would it grow faster in a southern window? I don't
plan on moving because there are other plants that I need to have in the
south window but just curious?
om...

Old 18-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

You don't want the plant to grow "fast". If Yucca don't receive enough
light, the new growth will be weak long slender stems with pale leaves and
very susceptible to disease.

An east facing window is not as bright as you assume. You may want to check
with a light meter to see for yourself.

Old 18-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Tina Gibson

I believe it is not as bright as a south window. However, it is very healthy
with a strong stem. New growth is always very green - no signs of
etiolation. I will watch it carefully and if I notice it losing colour.
Thanks for your comments. You do know your plants - glad you're around to
help us all out!! Tina : )

. com...

amanda wrote in message
om...
Hi
I recently bought a yucca plant. I dont know if i am watering it too
much. Does anyone know how often you should water indoor plants at
this time of year?
Thank you

[IMG] code is On

Can anyone ID this yucca-like plant (..and it's problem)? Jim xzy United Kingdom 21 26-04-2012 02:24 PM
Yucca plant with no leaves! tjrundy Gardening 1 04-01-2010 04:32 AM
Yucca plant tjrundy Gardening 3 30-07-2009 08:25 AM
Yucca plant How to cut shoots off & transplant them Rima Lawns 2 09-05-2007 10:54 PM
Can Yucca be successfully transplanted? When to plant mums? de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies Gardening 5 02-10-2005 09:09 AM