Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up Herb Gardening

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum. A while back I discovered the rewards of herb gardening. Vegetables were always my first choice when it came to gardening but they can't compare with the fun and excitement of raising herbs. They can make your food taste better, provide medicinal cures, charm you with fragrant aromas, enhance your landscape and help out with pest control in the garden. So why don't you start your herb garden today?
__________________
Regards,

Sonny Chenoweth
Get more herb garden information
Old 13-12-2009, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Herb Gardening

In article ,
MackW wrote:

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum. A while back I discovered the
rewards of herb gardening. Vegetables were always my first choice when
it came to gardening but they can't compare with the fun and excitement
of raising herbs. They can make your food taste better, provide
medicinal cures, charm you with fragrant aromas, enhance your landscape
and help out with pest control in the garden. So why don't you start
your herb garden today?

Because we're 9 days from the beginning of winter. What would you
suggest I start with, 9 days before the beginning of winter?
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 13-12-2009, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:50:57 +0000, MackW
wrote:

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum. A while back I discovered the
rewards of herb gardening. Vegetables were always my first choice when
it came to gardening but they can't compare with the fun and excitement
of raising herbs. They can make your food taste better, provide
medicinal cures, charm you with fragrant aromas, enhance your landscape
and help out with pest control in the garden. So why don't you start
your herb garden today?

I was just visiting with some of the herbs. It's in the 40's this
morning after 20's and 30's for days. The rue, sage, rosemary, yarrow,
comfrey (surprised - that's usually gone this time of year), parsley,
oregano (I suppose - I didn't drop by the oregano/garlic chives area)
and catnip are all doing well and lovely to see against the brownish
background. The passionflower is just about dormant, probably planning
the conquering of the universe next year, as opposed to just our
little section of it. I've seen a few brave dandelions trying to
bloom in my day to day travels.

Inside the aloe veras and bay tree have the challenge of living inside
for the winter with a young cat who seems to think having dirt and
plants inside is one of the best things in the world. She gets smelly
poop from nibbling on the aloes. Silly girl.
Old 14-12-2009, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Wildbilly" wrote in message
MackW wrote:

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum. A while back I discovered the
rewards of herb gardening. Vegetables were always my first choice when
it came to gardening but they can't compare with the fun and excitement
of raising herbs. They can make your food taste better, provide
medicinal cures, charm you with fragrant aromas, enhance your landscape
and help out with pest control in the garden. So why don't you start
your herb garden today?

Because we're 9 days from the beginning of winter. What would you
suggest I start with, 9 days before the beginning of winter?

Well I'm at the start of summer, but since I've been growing and using herbs
for decades, I'm not sure why I'm being told to 'start' a herb garden today.
I suppose I could go out and divide some up and spread some around.

Old 14-12-2009, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Wildbilly" wrote in message
MackW wrote:

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum. A while back I
discovered the rewards of herb gardening. Vegetables were always
my first choice when it came to gardening but they can't compare
with the fun and excitement of raising herbs. They can make your
food taste better, provide medicinal cures, charm you with fragrant
aromas, enhance your landscape and help out with pest control in
the garden. So why don't you start your herb garden today?

Because we're 9 days from the beginning of winter. What would you
suggest I start with, 9 days before the beginning of winter?

Well I'm at the start of summer, but since I've been growing and
using herbs for decades, I'm not sure why I'm being told to 'start' a
herb garden today. I suppose I could go out and divide some up and
spread some around.

The wording from the OP looks like some kind of spam for a blog or herb farm
but he forgot the URL. Maybe he is genuine but happens to write in a way
that sounds like advertising copy.

Must stop being so sceptical. One day. Christmas day perhaps.

David

Old 14-12-2009, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

In article ,
MackW wrote:

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum. A while back I discovered the
rewards of herb gardening. Vegetables were always my first choice when
it came to gardening but they can't compare with the fun and excitement
of raising herbs. They can make your food taste better, provide
medicinal cures, charm you with fragrant aromas, enhance your landscape
and help out with pest control in the garden. So why don't you start
your herb garden today?

Because we're 9 days from the beginning of winter. What would you
suggest I start with, 9 days before the beginning of winter?

Same thought here. The ground here is frozen, hard as a rock
Winter is the best time for reading and planning for the spring.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 25-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Registered User

Smile

Dan L.;871890]In article
,
Wildbilly
wrote:

In article
,
MackW
wrote:

Greetings to all. I am new to the forum. A while back I discovered the
rewards of herb gardening. Vegetables were always my first choice when
it came to gardening but they can't compare with the fun and excitement
of raising herbs. They can make your food taste better, provide
medicinal cures, charm you with fragrant aromas, enhance your landscape
and help out with pest control in the garden. So why don't you start
your herb garden today?

Because we're 9 days from the beginning of winter. What would you
suggest I start with, 9 days before the beginning of winter?

Same thought here. The ground here is frozen, hard as a rock
Winter is the best time for reading and planning for the spring.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

we are into winter months here in southern ontario as well so not much chance of putting herbs in the ground lol.
i did go to the page posted here though and am wondering why this person
couldnt just give the information on their site instead of wanting to send
things about herb gardening to a persons email address instead.
hhhhhmmmm me wonders why a person would do it this way rather than
doing it the way len does with his len's garden pages.
just a thought now mind ya . cyaaaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 29-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered User

Smile

Love garlic but how about this: recently I discovered lemon basil. It is amazing in that the leaves smell just like lemons. I have added these plants to my herb garden. I was wondering if this type basil could be used in making beverages such as basil lemonade. Any suggestions?
__________________

Old 30-12-2009, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

MackW wrote:

I discovered lemon basil.

Actually you didn't, some Botanist did.

I was wondering if this type basil could be
used in making beverages such as basil lemonade.
Any suggestions?

You can add some leaves to lemonade made from lemons, more as agarnish
(it'll be difficult squeezing juice from basil). However you can use
the plant to make lemon basil tea. And you can use lemon basil for
cooking and in salads the same as standard basil.
Old 30-12-2009, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Boron mentioned this site over in Alt.bread.recipes.

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/index.html extensive and
wonderful work.

I like Nichols for plants and seeds

http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/...ID=9cd5ecb9355
8f951e16d3bd636091a2a

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM deals with Sugars

Old 31-12-2009, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"MackW" wrote in message

Love garlic but how about this: recently I discovered lemon basil. It
is amazing in that the leaves smell just like lemons. I have added
these plants to my herb garden. I was wondering if this type basil
could be used in making beverages such as basil lemonade. Any
suggestions?

--
MackW

I cant comment on lemon basil. But I grew a Lemon balm plant. it made a tea
that tasted exactly like lemons were in it

[IMG] code is On

Herb Gardening coykiesaol Gardening 2 29-06-2011 07:39 PM
Herb Sale At Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery mrchaos007 Texas 21 11-04-2005 08:07 PM
Herb gardening can be simple and rewarding Earl Buchan Gardening 0 04-03-2004 08:52 PM
Herb gardening can be simple and rewarding Earl Buchan Gardening 0 04-03-2004 08:21 PM
Harvesting Chive Seeds & Good Book on Herb Gardening Bunny McElwee Edible Gardening 0 16-04-2003 07:08 PM