Old 29-12-2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default sweet potatoes

On Dec 28, 11:05 am, gardenlen wrote:
g'day emilie,

"emilie pointed out,
Sweet potato plants cover an amazing area of ground and make a good
ground cover."

they don't need to be let ramble all over the place they can be kept
trimmed back or like we do just pull the runners back over the top of
the central plant and keep it tidy that way. by pruning back you can
be creating growing slips continually if so desired, just stick the
slips in water until they root or direct plant.

That is true, but I like them to grow all about and provide a ground
cover,
which shades the roots of other plants from the hot sun. They are very
attractive plants too. The flowers are small, but pretty.

also they will grow in shaded places and still produce, they are a
fairly versatile plant.

not to foget the young growing tips and leaves can be eaten just wilt
them and eat like spinach/silverbeet.

Did not know that, will have to try them next summer.
Thanks. mle

len

With peace and brightest of blessings

Old 30-12-2009, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

I agree that I could have looked this up, but I wanted different ideas
on this. Probably everything posted here could be found
under search.Its just more interesting to have a discussion.
thanks to all

[IMG] code is On

Sweet potatoes Carine Edible Gardening 0 03-08-2004 11:32 AM
My sweet sweet Rose Brigitte J. Gardening 14 25-06-2004 12:03 AM
Store Sweet Potatoes Karl Townsend Lawns 1 04-10-2003 05:02 PM
Sweet potatoes Beth Peace North Carolina 3 01-10-2003 05:11 AM
Can you grow sweet potatoes please? Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt United Kingdom 7 13-08-2003 07:43 PM