Old 27-12-2009, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default sweet potatoes

I am going to plant a row of yams in the spring.Forgot the procedure
about sprouting the roots (called something else) and when to plant. any
tips appreciated

Old 27-12-2009, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

HL B123 wrote:
I am going to plant a row of yams in the spring.Forgot the procedure
about sprouting the roots (called something else) and when to plant.
any tips appreciated

Are you growing sweet potatos (ipomoea) or yams (diascorea)? I don't know
much about the latter but sweet potato need warm conditions and full sun.
In cooler areas plant after the last frost. Given plenty of manure they
will grow quickly and you will need to water them in dry weather as the
extensive leaf system will wilt easily. If the soil is likely to get
waterlogged plant them in hills to improve drainage. I don't do anything
special to sprout the roots, if the soil is warm and damp they will grow.

David

Old 27-12-2009, 08:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
HL B123 wrote:
I am going to plant a row of yams in the spring.Forgot the procedure
about sprouting the roots (called something else) and when to plant.
any tips appreciated

Are you growing sweet potatos (ipomoea) or yams (diascorea)? I don't know
much about the latter but sweet potato need warm conditions and full sun.
In cooler areas plant after the last frost. Given plenty of manure they
will grow quickly and you will need to water them in dry weather as the
extensive leaf system will wilt easily. If the soil is likely to get
waterlogged plant them in hills to improve drainage. I don't do anything
special to sprout the roots, if the soil is warm and damp they will grow.

plant sweet potatos in a box of moist sand and keep in a warm area until
shoots sprout from the potato. When the shoots are about 15 cm long pull
them off the potato and keep them bedded in a bucket of moist sand and they
will put down roots until you are ready to plant out.

rob

Old 27-12-2009, 10:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

HL B123 wrote:
[...]

why? because that is how sprouting sweet potato is done.

rob

Old 27-12-2009, 11:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

HL B123 wrote:
[...]

OK but why do they need to be sprouted at all and why pull the sprouts off,
what purpose does it serve? Would it not be simpler to just plant the whole
thing where it is to grow?

David

Old 27-12-2009, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

to easy hl,

we have suggestions on our site:

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/growing..._pineapple.htm

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 20:06:47 -0600, (HL B123) wrote:

snipped
--

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 28-12-2009, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks to david,rob and len for your instructions. I have not planted
sweet potatoes since I was 8 or 9 years old.but decided to this year
just for the heck of it. Len the web site you gave is very
informative, it will take some time to review it all . thanks

Old 28-12-2009, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

HL B123 wrote:
[...]

not sure David, I just follow the instructions passed on to me.

rob

Old 28-12-2009, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

HL B123 wrote:
[...]

Passed on from what authority, site your reference.

Old 28-12-2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

not sure David, I just follow the instructions passed on to me.

rob

It can be done either way. I have done it with slips or the tuber.

Usually I just start the sprouting method by placing the end of the SP
Into a glass jar/bottle of water and wait for the sprouts. (This is
what I
do to get a SP vine to keep on the window sill for ornamental
enjoyment.)
When the sprouts are about 6 inches long, remove and place in water or
sand until roots show. (sprouts are called "slips") Plant out in the
ground
when its warm.

Other way is to put the tuber directly in the ground. I didn't cut it
up at all.

Sweet potato plants cover an amazing area of ground and make a good
ground cover. In either method be sure the tuber has not been treated
so
that it won't sprout. (Mine have always sprouted)
It seemed that the slip method took longer, but that was just
observation;
other conditions may have been a factor. With the tuber method the new
potatoes were all crowded together; with slips you can spread them
out.

Emilie
NorCal
zone 8

Old 28-12-2009, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day emilie,

"emilie pointed out,
Sweet potato plants cover an amazing area of ground and make a good
ground cover."

they don't need to be let ramble all over the place they can be kept
trimmed back or like we do just pull the runners back over the top of
the central plant and keep it tidy that way. by pruning back you can
be creating growing slips continually if so desired, just stick the
slips in water until they root or direct plant.

also they will grow in shaded places and still produce, they are a
fairly versatile plant.

not to foget the young growing tips and leaves can be eaten just wilt
them and eat like spinach/silverbeet.

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:20:24 -0800 (PST), in rec.gardens you wrote:

snipped
Emilie
NorCal
zone 8

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:20:24 -0800 (PST), mleblanca
wrote:
snipped

Emilie
NorCal
zone 8

Old 28-12-2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

HL B123 wrote:
[...]

Yates Garden Guide, first published in 1885 and over 1 million copies sold.

rob

Old 29-12-2009, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:40:27 +1300, "George"
wrote:

.. .

HL B123 wrote:
[...]

You need to do better, no one can access the information in that book
unless they own or buy a copy or you supply an URL. You could have at
least scanned that section of your copy so folks can read the precise
account. Posting a reference that can't be readily accessed is no
reference at all. The various references on line give somewhat
different directions from what you claim to paraphrase.

I wonder why the OP didn't simply look this informatin up for himself,
there are dozens of web sites that explain how to grow sweet
potatoes.

Here's one that everyone can access:
http://organic-vegetable-gardens.sui...sweet_potatoes

Old 29-12-2009, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:40:27 +1300, "George"
wrote:

. ..

HL B123 wrote:
[...]

rotflmao

simple answer - no.

Info has been provided in good faith. Take it or leave it.

rob

[IMG] code is On

Sweet potatoes Carine Edible Gardening 0 03-08-2004 11:32 AM
My sweet sweet Rose Brigitte J. Gardening 14 25-06-2004 12:03 AM
Store Sweet Potatoes Karl Townsend Lawns 1 04-10-2003 05:02 PM
Sweet potatoes Beth Peace North Carolina 3 01-10-2003 05:11 AM
Can you grow sweet potatoes please? Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt United Kingdom 7 13-08-2003 07:43 PM