Old 10-02-2010, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What To Do About Our Lawn

Hi,

Over the past years our lawn has turned to moss and I've been
unable to reverse it. I've overseeded, put down lime,
fertilizer, and moss killer. We live in Harvard, MA. The lawn
is small with trees right up to the edge.

We had three landscapers look at it,

The first was a local landscaper who said there was too much
shade (the trees have grown in the almost thirty years we've
lived here). He added that a lawn company would offer to
replant it for $2300 but would be dead again in a few years.

The second quoted $2200 to replant and promised shade
tolerant grass would work.

The third offered much the same but for only $1300.

I'm inclined to believe the first guy but, obviously, don't like
that answer.

I'm not sure how to go from here. Any suggestions? I don't
want to cut down trees and my wife doesn't want Astroturf. We
might be selling in a few years.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Gary Brown" wrote:

[...]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotbikes/4241793451/

http://www.mossacres.com/

And while going Japanese some wind flowers....see video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eijPk...t&p=DA61BFAFE5
1AF6F6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

Bill

And some music

Kinks - I think I'm turning Japanese 3:45 The Kinks

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:41:11 -0500, "Gary Brown"
wrote:

[...]

You're lucky... some folks spend a lot of money to grow moss... and
you don't have to mow it.

http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/design/2004sp_moss.html

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/mosscare.html

http://www.mossacres.com/

Old 10-02-2010, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:01:15 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
"Gary Brown" wrote:

[...]

And originally a hit (in the USA and UK) by The Vapors (in 1980) -
composed by one of the band members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vapors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWAwrMFtSvM

Geoff
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gary Brown wrote:
[...]

Why must you have lawn? Do you have small children or sporting people who
require a playing surface? There are many other ways to replant a small
semi-shaded area that would be more likely to endure in the long run. These
would not need mowing, fertilising watering etc as much as a lawn although
there is nothing (other than a wilderness) that is maintenance free. I would
have thought that any landscaper worth their pay would have suggested this.

David

Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Gary Brown wrote:
[...]

Hmmm...

You have two problems Tree and Shade.

There are some strains of grass are shade tolerant like Fescue.
A Fine Fescue, Tall Fescue or Red Fescue strains. Many consider these
grass strains an invasive weed. Do it yourself, go with seed, over
seeding is a lot cheeper than planting sod.

The tree will also zap the nutrients from the grass as well. So more
watering and fertilizing will be needed. Also It depends on the type of
tree you have. Some trees produce compounds that just kill off grass and
some plants, like the Black Walnut tree. I have not seen too many places
in the natural world where grass and trees get along.

You could put a decorative hard edge landscaping border just outside the
tree line filled with a colorful mulch (not cheap). Grass on the other
side of the boarder. This method is far from maintenance free.

Some Mosses can look just as good as grass. Need less cutting.
Personally - I would take this option. It is often best to work with
nature than fight nature.

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Even shade-tolerant grasses may not grow well. The majority of
grasses do best in full sun. Some areas of my property are moss,
especially under the pine trees--it grows well where regular grass
will not. There are other groundcovers to make your landscaping look
professional--select those that grow well in your area and conditions.
There are a variety of ferns, pachysandra, lily of the valley, etc.
that grow well in acidic soils.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gary Brown wrote:
[...]

I love moss. I looked at houses for about three years, including
in your town, before I bought one. I walked around the yards and
exclaimed in delight when I saw moss and other things besides
grass. I also don't believe in fighting nature. Work with the
conditions you have.

--
Jean B.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Gary Brown" wrote in message
m...
[...]

you haven't mentioned whether it is possible to thin out the trees to let
more light in. Is that an option to cutting them down.

rob