Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Registered User

Question rotavator or top soil

I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a base. with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Fiona
Old 11-02-2010, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default rotavator or top soil

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:13:56 -0500, fi0n4
wrote:

I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a base.
with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

To me "rubble" means rocks, stones, and other non-biodegradable
trash... I'd haul all that rubble out first... and if you have to ask
you're much too lazy for gardening.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

fi0n4 wrote:
I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a
base. with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Fiona

You don't tell us much. There is not to be gaioned by simply churning up
rubble if that is all there is. How do you know what is under the surface?
Have you been all around and dug holes to see? You might be surprised if
you haven't.

The nature of the base and the rubble are important, as is the size of the
plot, your budget and your hopes. "Large" garden could be 1/10 th of an
acre or 10 acres depending on your background. What is growing there now?
What do you want to do there? How much time and money can you afford to put
into this?

David

Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
fi0n4

Til it up good! mix in some air, nutrients, fertilizer, and enough bags
of a good topsoil to cover the whole area at least a couple of inches.
Your work will be worth the effort if you put the time in now.

Donna
in WA zone 8/9

Old 12-02-2010, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Lelandite" wrote:

" I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a base.
with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Fiona

--
fi0n4

Til it up good! mix in some air, nutrients, fertilizer, and enough bags
of a good topsoil to cover the whole area at least a couple of inches.
Your work will be worth the effort if you put the time in now.

Donna
in WA zone 8/9

Consider Cover crops.

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/covercrop.html

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 12-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Registered User

if i have ask im to lazy for gardening!? ill have you know im flogging my guts out to get this garden done for my children. Its not easy! so please do not call me lazy.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandite View Post
" I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a base.
with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Fiona

--
fi0n4

Til it up good! mix in some air, nutrients, fertilizer, and enough bags
of a good topsoil to cover the whole area at least a couple of inches.
Your work will be worth the effort if you put the time in now.

Donna
in WA zone 8/9
Thank you x
Old 12-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
fi0n4 wrote:
I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a
base. with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Fiona

You don't tell us much. There is not to be gaioned by simply churning up
rubble if that is all there is. How do you know what is under the surface?
Have you been all around and dug holes to see? You might be surprised if
you haven't.

The nature of the base and the rubble are important, as is the size of the
plot, your budget and your hopes. "Large" garden could be 1/10 th of an
acre or 10 acres depending on your background. What is growing there now?
What do you want to do there? How much time and money can you afford to put
into this?

David
Basically i can get rid of bits of rubble thats been caused by digging big trees out and really want to level it best i can, 1/6 of the garden i did by digging and turning over, altho it looks well it was hard work. So with me been not knowing much about gardening, for all i know a rotavator would do the trick but i wouldnt just go ahead and do it thats why i asked for advice. all thats growing is grass maybe a few weeds. At the moment im just wanting to get it level as possible and grassed for the children so its safe. oh i taken a concret path from the middle too so they is bits of rubble from there.

Thanks for replying
Old 12-02-2010, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
"Lelandite" wrote:

" I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a base.
with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Til it up good! mix in some air, nutrients, fertilizer, and enough bags
of a good topsoil to cover the whole area at least a couple of inches.
Your work will be worth the effort if you put the time in now.

Donna
in WA zone 8/9

Consider Cover crops.

Consider raking out the "rubble" or it's all just a waste of time,
effort, and expense... no matter you bury rubble it'll keep working
its way to the surface, and that the soil is tilled/loosened much
faster... after the first year you'll be right back where you started,
only worse.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 PM
BrownFingers's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi0n4 View Post
I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a base. with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Fiona
Stop being bloody lazy.. get a garden fork and fork off! mind you depends on the quality of the soil... fork it then top soil! top tip from BrownFingers! Jesus
__________________
I'm the New Gardening Daddy... You beta watch out cause I'm the new Kid on the Lawn..!!!!
I'm gonna hoe Yo Gravel.....

Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Lelandite wrote:
" I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a
base.
with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Fiona

--
fi0n4

Til it up good! mix in some air, nutrients, fertilizer, and enough
bags of a good topsoil to cover the whole area at least a couple of
inches. Your work will be worth the effort if you put the time in now.

Donna
in WA zone 8/9

I don't see that there is enough information to suggest that. There are
situations which fit the description where that would be a waste of effort.

David

Old 13-02-2010, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Lelandite wrote:
" I have a very large garden, that needs tidying up. its basically a
base.
with bit of rubble.

Im not sure if i should rotavate it or throw top soil on.

Any one any ideas?

Fiona

--
fi0n4

Til it up good! mix in some air, nutrients, fertilizer, and enough
bags of a good topsoil to cover the whole area at least a couple of
inches. Your work will be worth the effort if you put the time in now.

Donna
in WA zone 8/9

I don't see that there is enough information to suggest that. There are
situations which fit the description where that would be a waste of effort.

David

She states she has a "base". I'd still go for the works. My gardens have
always liked the little extra's I give them....both flower and veggie. You
should see my bosenberries right now....can't wait until summer.

Donna
in WA

Old 13-02-2010, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Lelandite wrote:
[...]

I just ask that you look at 3 web sites.

(1)
http://www.plantea.com/no-tilling.htm
You may want to look at Lowenfels book:
"Teaming with Microbes"
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb...l/dp/088192777
5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266037779&sr=1-1
and probably available at your local library.

(2)
http://www.mdvaden.com/double_digging.shtml
The first, and last, dig isn't necessary, but it speeds things up
dramatically. (see below)

(3)
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ.../Lasagna-Garde
ning.aspx

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 13-02-2010, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

I would just build a raised bed and research square foot gardening.

Rich