Old 15-02-2010, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default weed control

OK I have gotten a lot of responses, and no I am not trying to kill
the planet--I just want to grow some veggies!

I live in Missouri, and have a lot of crab grass, thistle, and poison
ivy, etc. The garden patch has been extremely difficult to control
the weeds in the past couple of years.

I have tried mulching, almost 4" in deep across the whole area--does
little if anything to stop weeds.
I have tried black plastic, which seems to stop or slow down the
weeds--but makes everything else that much harder to grow.
I have sprayed repeatedly with RoundUP and everything else they sell
at Lowe's, and actually the only one that worked at all was a no name
brand that did kill the weeds for up to 2 weeks. But they came back.
I have tried burning the whole area, looks ugly for a couple of
months---but weeds came back.
I have crawled around on my hnds and knees pulling all of them out and
removing the roots and all. Still they came back.

Gardening should not have to be this difficult. Com'on folks tell the
secret potion I need to fix things so I can have a good garden this
summer.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:06:32 -0800 (PST), chen
wrote:

[...]

Spacing the plants closer will reduce some weeds. Planting in rows
makes it easier to hoe the entire 20x20 garden in less than 10
minutes. I may have to hoe every 4-5 weeks. My strawberries require
hand weeding, maybe 5 minutes for a 15-foot row. You may need to
identify the weeds to understand control measures. I have used a
propane torch on weeds gone out of control. Avoid herbicides, at
least in your food garden. Weeding is probably not one of those
favorite gardening tasks, but a well-kept garden requires it.
Old 15-02-2010, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

You should already know it is not a good idea to burn poison ivy or
poison oak. For those you will need RoundUp, perhaps a second and
third application for established plants.
Old 15-02-2010, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
chen wrote:

[...]

Get a Japanese gardening knife and a hula hoe and a warren hoe. Start
with a very small garden and expand when you have got the small the way
you want it.

http://www.vsb.cape.com/~nature/greencenter/newalchemy.html
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=hoe
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-568-collinear-hoes.aspx

Bill

P.S. The one secret it to cultivate before the weeds emerge.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 15-02-2010, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

JMO, but I'd say you need to be at peace with the weeds. What you
fight, you invite or some other such platitude.

Weeding is a constant in gardening. You don't do it once or twice and
that's it for the season. It's a daily/weekly/however often you want
to do it thing. It's getting on your hands and knees weeding,
visiting, tending - being aware of what is growing.

mulching is good - cover crops - I grew red clover amidst the tomatoes
one year to give the weeds less space to grow.

Old 15-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Registered User

Location: berkshire
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chen View Post
[...]

This is my first time on this forum, i love gardening and have not done so outside uk but i suggest you find a positive in your situation, focus on what is growing that you are having success with, if you are doing really well with vegies or have huge sunflowers why not grow more of the same, give the weeds a bit of competition. Weeds can only spread where they have the space to do so. After it has rained the weeds can usually be lifted out more easily.
Old 16-02-2010, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Get a Mantis tiller. And you really can't garden without a
contractors wheelbarrow! Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
Old 16-02-2010, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
chen wrote:

[...]

A planet killer, eh? Well maybe we can bring you back into the fold.

I'm kinda surprised that no one has mentioned raised beds, so you may
want to look into that, too.

I had poison oak, and I just discouraged it by constant pulling and
cutting. You'll want a pair of gloves, unless you be one of them what's
impervious to the stuff.

Then I'd recommend that you read the following:

(1)
http://www.plantea.com/no-tilling.htm
You may want to look at Lowenfels book:
"Teaming with Microbes"
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb...l/dp/088192777
5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266037779&sr=1-1
and probably available at your local library.

(2)
http://www.mdvaden.com/double_digging.shtml
The first, and last, dig isn't necessary, but it speeds things up
dramatically. (see below)

(3)
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...1/Lasagna-Gard
ening.aspx

(4) One last tweak for your garden is charcoal. Not briquettes, that may
contain coal dust and/or accelerants, but black shards of real wood left
over from a wood stove or barbecue (like the wood chips added for that
smokey flavor). Scatter it liberally onto your soil. Not only will it
improve the fertility of your garden, but it is also a way to sequester
carbon to keep it out of the atmosphere, where as CO2, it adds to
"Global Warming".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

Other references:

http://organicgardening.about.com/od...en/a/lasagnaga
rden.htm

http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm

http://www.redbluffdailynews.com/news/ci_14372729

or check your local library for

Lasagna Gardening: A New Layering System for Bountiful Gardens: No
Digging, No Tilling, No Weeding, No Kidding!
~ Patricia Lanza (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Lasagna-Garden...Gardens/dp/087
5969623/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266166594&sr=1-1

Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces: A Layering System for Big Results in
Small Gardens and Containers (Rodale Organic Gardening Book) by Patricia
Lanza
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tripbooks&fiel
d-keywords=lasagna+gardening&x=0&y=0

How to Grow More Vegetables and Fruits (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries,
Grains, and Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land
Than You Can Imagine by John Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12661665...rs=1000&keywor
ds=lasagna%20gardening&rh=n%3A%211000%2Ci%3Astripb ooks%2Ck%3Alasagna%20ga
rdening&page=2

------

If you don't need all of your garden area, cover the unneeded portion
with clear plastic. Cover the edges with dirt.
http://ceamador.ucdavis.edu/files/942.pdf

-----
I know I ran this by you before, but a good teacher will tell you that
he is going to tell you. He'll tell you. Then he'll tell you that he
told you. So, we might meet one more time ;O)

Human and mammalian health effects
[edit]
Toxicity
By 2000, a review published in a Monsanto sponsored journal,[11]
conducted by Ian C. Munro (a member of the Cantox scientific and
regulatory consulting firm whose role is defined as to "protect client
interests while helping our clients achieve milestones and bring
products to market"[12]) concluded that "under present and expected
conditions of new use, there is no potential for Roundup herbicide to
pose a health risk to humans".[13] Monsanto uses that study as the main
source to support Roundup safety for humans.[14]
A 2008 scientific study has shown that Roundup formulations and
metabolic products cause the death of human embryonic, placental, and
umbilical cells in vitro, even at low concentrations. The effects were
not proportional to the main active ingredient concentrations
(glyphosate), but dependent on the nature of the adjuvants used in the
Roundup formulation.[15]
Deliberate ingestion of Roundup in quantities ranging from 85-200 ml has
resulted in death within hours of ingestion, although it has also been
ingested in quantities as large as 500ml with only mild or moderate
symptoms following ingestion.[16] There is a reasonable correlation
between the amount of Roundup ingested and the likelihood of serious
systemic sequelae or death. Ingestion of 85 mL of the concentrated
formulation is likely to cause significant toxicity in adults.
Gastrointestinal corrosive effects, with mouth, throat and epigastric
pain and dysphagia are common. Renal and hepatic impairment are also
frequent and usually reflect reduced organ perfusion. Respiratory
distress, impaired consciousness, pulmonary oedema, infiltration on
chest x-ray, shock, arrythmias, renal failure requiring haemodialysis,
metabolic acidosis and hyperkalaemia may supervene in severe cases.
Bradycardia and ventricular arrhythmias are often present
pre-terminally. Dermal exposure to ready-to-use glyphosate formulations
can cause irritation, and photo-contact dermatitis has been reported
occasionally; these effects are probably due to the preservative Proxel
(benzisothiazolin-3-one). Severe skin burns are very rare. Inhalation is
a minor route of exposure, but spray mist may cause oral or nasal
discomfort, an unpleasant taste in the mouth, tingling and throat
irritation. Eye exposure may lead to mild conjunctivitis, and
superficial corneal injury is possible if irrigation is delayed or
inadequate.[10]
[edit]
Endocrine disruptor
A 2000 in vitro study on mouse MA-10 cells concluded that Roundup
inhibited progesterone production by disrupting StAR protein
expression.[17]
A 2005 in vitro study on human placental JEG3 cells concluded that the
glyphosate disruption of aromatase is facilitated by adjuvants of the
Roundup formulation.[18]
A 2009 in vitro experiment with glyphosate formulations on human liver
HepG2 cells has observed endocrine disruption at sub-agricultural doses,
where a Roundup formulation showed to be the most active formulation.
The effects were more dependent on the formulation than on the
glyphosate concentration.[19]
A 2009 study on rats has found that Roundup is a potent endocrine
disruptor causing disturbances in the reproductive development when the
exposure was performed during the puberty period.[20]
[edit]
Genetic damage
A 1998 study on mice concluded that Roundup is able to cause genetic
damage. The authors concluded that the damage was "not related to the
active ingredient, but to another component of the herbicide
mixture".[21]
A 2005 study raised concerns over the effects of Roundup in
transcription.[22]
A 2009 study on mice has found that a single intraperitoneal injection
of Roundup in concentration of 25*mg/kg caused chromosomal aberrations
and induction of micronuclei.[23]
A 2009 in vitro experiment with glyphosate formulations on human liver
cells has observed DNA damages at sub-agricultural doses, where a
Roundup formulation showed to be the most active formulation. The
effects were more dependent on the formulation than on the glyphosate
concentration.[19]
[edit]
Ecologic effects
A 2000 review of the toxicological data on Roundup concluded that "for
terrestrial uses of Roundup minimal acute and chronic risk was predicted
for potentially exposed nontarget organisms". It also concluded that
there were some risks to aquatic organisms exposed to Roundup in shallow
water.[24]
[edit]
Toxicity
A 2009 study has concluded that while physiological pH decreases
glyphosate uptake in animal cells Roundup formulation contains
surfactants that increases membrane permeability allowing cellular
uptake at physiological pH.[8]
[edit]
Aquatic effects
Fish and aquatic invertebrates are more sensitive to Roundup than
terrestrial organisms.[24] Glyphosate is generally less persistent in
water than in soil, with 12 to 60 day persistence observed in Canadian
pond water, yet persistence of over a year have been observed in the
sediments of ponds in Michigan and Oregon.[9]
The EU classifies Roundup as R51/53 Toxic to aquatic organisms, may
cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.[25]
Although Roundup is not registered for aquatic uses[26] and studies of
its effects on amphibians indicate it is toxic to them,[27] scientists
have found that it may wind up in small wetlands where tadpoles live,
due to inadvertent spraying during its application. A recent study found
that even at concentrations one-third of the maximum concentrations
expected in nature, Roundup still killed up to 71 percent of tadpoles
raised in outdoor tanks.[28]
[edit]
Environmental degradation and effects
When glyphosate comes into contact with the soil, it can be rapidly
bound to soil particles and be inactivated.[9] Unbound glyphosate can be
degraded by bacteria.[29] Glyphosphate has been shown to increase the
infection rate of wheat by fusarium head blight in fields that have been
treated with glyphosphate.[30] A 2009 study using a RoundUp formulation
has concluded that absorption into plants delays subsequent
soil-degradation, and can increase glyphosate persistence in soil from
two to six times.[31]
In soils, half lives vary from as little as 3 days at a site in Texas,
to as much as 141 days at a site in Iowa[32]. In addition, the
glyphosate metabolite aminomethylphosphonic acid was shown to persist up
to 2 years in Swedish forest soils.[33].
A recent study concluded that certain amphibians may be at risk from
glyphosate use.[34] One study has shown an effect on growth and survival
of earthworms.[35] The results of this study are in conflict with other
data, and have been criticized on methodological grounds.[24] In other
studies, nitrogen fixing bacteria have been impaired, and also crop
plant susceptibility to disease has been
increased.[30][36][37][38][39][40][41]
[edit]
False advertising and scientific fraud
[edit]
False advertising
In 1996, Monsanto was accused of false and misleading advertising of
glyphosate products, prompting a law suit by the New York State attorney
general.[42] Monsanto had made claims that its spray-on glyphosate based
herbicides, including Roundup, were safer than table salt and
"practically non-toxic" to mammals, birds, and fish.[43]
Environmental and consumer rights campaigners brought a case in France
in 2001 for presenting Roundup as biodegradable and claiming that it
left the soil clean after use; glyphosate, Roundup's main ingredient, is
classed by the European Union as "dangerous for the environment" and
"toxic for aquatic organisms". In January 2007, Monsanto was convicted
of false advertising.[44] The result was confirmed in 2009.[45]
[edit]
Scientific fraud
On two occasions, the United States Environmental Protection Agency has
caught scientists deliberately falsifying test results at research
laboratories hired by Monsanto to study glyphosate.[46][47][48] In the
first incident involving Industrial Biotest Laboratories, an EPA
reviewer stated after finding "routine falsification of data" that it
was "hard to believe the scientific integrity of the studies when they
said they took specimens of the uterus from male rabbits".[49][50][51]
In the second incident of falsifying test results in 1991, the owner of
the lab (Craven Labs), and three employees were indicted on 20 felony
counts, the owner was sentenced to 5 years in prison and fined 50,000
dollars, the lab was fined 15.5 million dollars and ordered to pay 3.7
million dollars in restitution.[32][52][53] Craven laboratories
performed studies for 262 pesticide companies including Monsanto.
Monsanto has stated that the studies have been repeated, and that
Roundup's EPA certification does not now use any studies from Craven
Labs or IBT. Monsanto also said that the Craven Labs investigation was
started by the EPA after a pesticide industry task force discovered
irregularities.[54]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup...health_effects

http://healthychild.org/issues/chemical-pop/glyphosate/

http://www.percyschmeiser.com/Toxic.htm

You can also cover the area that you want weeded with newspaper, and put
mulch on top of the paper.

Lastly, one man's weed is another man's herb. Find out what you are
trying to kill first.

Dandelions, for example, make nutritious salads.

Stinging Nettles are high in A and C vitamins, and iron, as well as
being useful in treating asthma. An infusion of the fresh leaves is
healing and soothing as a lotion for burns and the root has been shown
to have a beneficial effect upon enlarged prostate glands.

Purslane has the highest content of omega3 of any land plant.

And the list goes on and on.

Once having identified one of your weeds, go to
http://www.pfaf.org/database/index.php
to determine if it can be of use to you.
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara
http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 16-02-2010, 12:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Wise words in your response Kate. Your response made me think of that old
saying: 'The best fertiliser is the footsteps of the gardener'.

Not all weeds are bad chen. Look at them and wonder why they grow, and why
they grow where they do. Thistles for example grow where soil needs to be
repaired. They are what I call 'deep miners' as they (at least the ones I
know, but yours could be a different species) put down deep tap roots and if
you pull them up you will find worms snugged in close to the tap root. they
must be giving something to the worms and I suspect that it is mineral found
at a much deeper level than earth worms like to go and pulled up into the
body of the plant by the deep root.

Creeping grasses are a total bitch though and the only way I have found to
get rid of them is to paint them with a concentrate of glyphosate using a
paint brush. I dont' spray it and I keep a very close eye on the spot to
make sure that if any more emerges, I repaint it as it comes up. I've found
that it has taken 3 applications of neat glyphosate to get rid of it.

I don't know what poison ivy is as we don't have it in this country.

Some general advice I would give is to start very small and to prepare a
small space well and to learn to manage that first before going the whole
hog. To make sure there is always some fallow period and to always remove
weeds before they seed in those beds.

Old 16-02-2010, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thread lead me to.

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Which lead to a reasonable priced book on weeds which I recommend.
Library may be able to get it. "Weeds and what they tell."

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merc...een=PROD&Produ
ct_Code=91123&Category_Code=BOOK

Which lead to

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merc...een=CTGY&Categ
ory_Code=RTOM

Which lead to a source for Marglobe tomatoes.

Thanks

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 16-02-2010, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:11:56 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Farm1. I like your old saying - I haven't heard it before but
certainly true.

Old 16-02-2010, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Feb 16, 1:26*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:02:08 -0800, Wildbilly
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I grew red clover amidst the tomatoes
one year to give the weeds less space to grow.

So what happened? Why didn't you repeat with the red clover?

I was growing large scale - close to 200 tomato plants. I planted the
red clover too late to be really effective but it was awfully cute
coming up en masse.

Now that I'm small scale again, I still plant with red clover, but
more because I want the red clover. I use it to control hot flashes
and night sweats, in a brandy tincture.

Tell me more about how it controls hot flashes and night sweats.
Goodness if it works where can I get some?

MJ
Old 16-02-2010, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

chen wrote in news:0e1ef767-1ece-4bf7-935d-
:

[...]

4 inches of mulch is not enough for many weeds - they will poke right
through, especially if it is loose mulch. I've used ground cloth covered
with mulch with great success - that stops the weeds from coming through,
but they will sprout and grow in the mulch if you don't keep an eye on
it.

Chemicals do little good in the long run. The chemicals we use in our
garden are not even a drop in the bucket compared to what the farmer down
the street does to us, so I generally ignore the "planet killer"
accusations. Hypocrites need to focus on the big polluters in the farm
fields, not the little boys like you and me. Having said that, the only
chemicals I've found that worked well was roundup for spot control (not
near the garden), fungicide for the fruit trees, and a neem-Piperonyl
Butoxide mixture for aphids and flea beetles. Plus some good slug bait.
You won't find any chemicals for week control suitable for usage in the
garden.

Just go out every day and pull a few weeds. Weeds don't grow so fast that
you can't keep them in control in a small garden this way. Notice I said
every day, not once a month. If you don't have time to tend your garden
several times a week, you need to consider some other form of gardening
where you have greater control over what grows, including weeds.