Old 22-02-2010, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Spring Is Here

I already guessed that winter was over when I saw 'Soleil d'Or',
'February Gold', and 'Peeping Tom' narcissus blooming in my garden.
Today, I confirmed it when I saw the first crocus.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 23-02-2010, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/22/2010 1:39 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
I already guessed that winter was over when I saw 'Soleil d'Or',
'February Gold', and 'Peeping Tom' narcissus blooming in my garden.
Today, I confirmed it when I saw the first crocus.

Yeah. I've had crocus blooming for a few days now and the smaller narcissus
are just getting opening up. The taller ones are always slower and, given
that they broke ground in December before the cold weather hit and froze
their tips, they may be a bit slower than usual this year. I figure that
Spring is here when I can smell the first Hyacinths and that will be a
while yet.
Old 23-02-2010, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/22/2010 1:39 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
I already guessed that winter was over when I saw 'Soleil d'Or',
'February Gold', and 'Peeping Tom' narcissus blooming in my garden.
Today, I confirmed it when I saw the first crocus.

Yeah. I've had crocus blooming for a few days now and the smaller narcissus
are just getting opening up. The taller ones are always slower and, given that
they broke ground in December before the cold weather hit and froze their
tips, they may be a bit slower than usual this year. I figure that Spring is
here when I can smell the first Hyacinths and that will be a while yet.

my little white crocus's came up weeks ago and now a few yellow ones.
My hyacinths are up about and inch as are my daffy's. Slugs have
already attacked my tulips. Gotta figure something out...worry about
the neighbor dogs and cats though I do make sure they are not
around when I but the bait down. Seems it's mostly curiosity that
gets most cats and dogs eating, smelling the stuff. But if they see me,
they're likely to come check out what I've been doing.

It's another beautiful day hear in the Pacific NW. My 86 year old
aunt's lawn is calling out my name.

Donna
in WA
zone 8-9

Old 23-02-2010, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Lelandite" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a scene from Fargo.

Anyway, for slugs and snails, use iron phosphate (Sluggo is one brand,
and Home Despot has a house brand). Iron, a nutrient which you and your
soil need, and phosphate (It's the P in N-P-K). Safe for people and
pets, unless you have gastropods for pets.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines
Old 23-02-2010, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 22-Feb-10 5:04 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 2/22/2010 1:39 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
I already guessed that winter was over when I saw 'Soleil d'Or',
'February Gold', and 'Peeping Tom' narcissus blooming in my garden.
Today, I confirmed it when I saw the first crocus.

Yeah. I've had crocus blooming for a few days now and the smaller narcissus
are just getting opening up. The taller ones are always slower and, given
that they broke ground in December before the cold weather hit and froze
their tips, they may be a bit slower than usual this year. I figure that
Spring is here when I can smell the first Hyacinths and that will be a
while yet.

Hyacinths (like tulips) won't repeat here; the winters are too mild.
But my grape hyacinths (Muscari) are in full bloom, making a carpet of
blue under my peach tree. That carpet is punctuated with red primroses.

Old 14-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered User

My hyacinths are up about and inch as are my daffy's. Slugs have already attacked my tulips. Gotta amount something out worry about the acquaintance dogs and bodies admitting I do accomplish abiding they are not around if I but the allurement down. Seems it's mostly concern that gets a lot of bodies and dogs eating, smelling the stuff.
Grow tents

[IMG] code is On

here here now, this poking at my daughter has to stop! Momma McKoi Ponds 0 15-05-2005 10:57 PM
Spring is here R&V Childers Orchids 0 18-03-2003 06:08 AM
A memory of spring, and a time to rejoice for just being here madgard Gardening 2 10-03-2003 10:32 PM
Spring is here! Diamond Ponds (alternative) 3 15-02-2003 03:59 PM
No Sign of Spring here in Bronx, Ny Zone 6 MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 1 09-02-2003 06:55 PM