Old 28-02-2010, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Intensive Gardening Has My Interest

Intensive gardening seems to produce great crops with many added
advantages to single row planting. I'm going to give it a shot this
year. I'm going to use a 50'x3 1/2' bed and see what happens as far as
the results. I like the idea of NO wasted space! My garden will be
double dug in ground and very well amended with leaf mold, compost and
slow release organic fertilizer. A lot of veggies from a small area?
We shall see, only time will tell but it does sound like a good idea
with some very sound reasoning to support the benefits. NO, I'm not
going to lay out a grid and get into the square foot aspect of it. Not
quite that serious yet.....LOL But I do plan on intercroping to try and
make the best use of space, fertilizer and water in order to grow a lot
of veggies in a small space. Create a micro climate for the plants? I
hope so because nothing in nature grows in a straight row.

Rich

Old 28-02-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote

Intensive gardening seems to produce great crops with many added
advantages to single row planting. I'm going to give it a shot this
year. I'm going to use a 50'x3 1/2' bed and see what happens as far as
the results. I like the idea of NO wasted space! My garden will be

Cool! I'm still just working mostly with containers. It's more like I am a
bit finicky that I dont want my dog peeing on what I eat, and I dont want to
eat something that got flea yard sprayed either.

That said, I have a fairly extensive container garden as far as they go.
Most of my life was in apartments with a porch (2nd floor or higher) as my
only growing space so this comes pretty easy to me.

Point is, I never *had* space to waste so things were fairly thickly planted
and still are closer than recommended. Here ones that doesnt *care* if you
thin it out by directions. Baby lettuce and Butter Lettuce. The butter
lettuce may be smaller but you still get more per ft of growing room if you
just let it do it's thing.

Old 28-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshenk View Post
"EVP MAN" wrote

[...]

Actually, in the elaboration of your problem make me informed. I came to know very interesting info. Thanks for sharing.
regards