Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Billy, Chuck etc - stupidity update

45 odd litres of quality organic apple juice sitting in my laundry
fermenting away on its way to being some nice, aheam cough, tasty cider.

Fewer mishaps this year than last year.

2 problems.

First issue - cut the bottom out of my plastic bucket to allow the juice to
flow out freely. Last year the juice got stuck at the bottom of the barrell.
Seemed like a fine idea. Problem being, the bottom added rigidity. As the
press plate (2 old cut down chopping boards) went down the bucket was not
rigid enough to hold up & started buckling.

Solution - get another bucket and drill holes in it but keep bottom on for
rigidity. Sorted.

Second issue - diameter of second bucket a bit smaller than first bucket.
Problem, as press plate went down it split the side of the bucket.

Solution - slide second split bucket inside first bottomless bucket. Split
bucket added rigidity, bucket with no holea acted like a sleeve to keep
everything together. Sorted.

The jig held together this year & using a bottle jack was so much easier
than using a scissor jack.

Gravity of the brew points to an alcoholic level of around 6-7%.

Rob

Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

[...]

What kind of volume of juice do you get per weight? Is this still cider,
or do you do cidre bouchée?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

[...]

per weight of apples?

don't know billy as never weighed apples prior.

whats the diff btwn cider & cidre bouchee, apart from one being french.

rob

Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

[...]

Cidre bouchée (corked) has bubbles. Both go well with crepes and
gallettes.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

[...]

It's damn near 11 PM. Long after I've told folks to listen to me, burrrp.
You get good wine from 150 gallons, or less, per ton (if you calculate
in the archaic English system), and acceptable wine at 180 gallons per
ton. I suspect that with your set-up, you are running on the low side of
high quality :O) And stay away from arsenic, cyanide, and heavy metals,
because they will be the death of you.

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow I may
have to eat them.
- Synonymous

Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

[...]

....or perhaps on quality, or even on acceptability. Although, a bottle from
february 2009 was opened last week and proved acceptable to 6 people
drinking (me included). The latest stuff will be sweeten as I have left the
apples longer to ripen & it will be fizzier. Also, at 7% give or take it
will do the job.

rob

Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

[...]

I prefer to think of it as cidre bodgee.

rob

Old 06-04-2010, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

[...]

I would 'ave thought that you'd appreciate those little CO2 bubbles
relaxing the pylorus, sos the ethanol can rush right through into your
blood stream, and race right up to your cerebellum, and give you a good
smack up the back of your 'ead. I must have misunderstood your intent.

So, 'ow do you free the body from the tyranny of the mind?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

[...]

I slump into bed and temporarily forget the cares of the world.

rob