Old 19-03-2010, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry)

Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating having another
go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a better (cheap) rig
together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper than that.

Afer work one day this week I thought I'd get stuck in to the good bottle of
sherry I had gathering dust in the booze rack. Disaster. Must've drunk it at
some stage before. I did find the cooking sherry.

rob

Old 19-03-2010, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George" wrote in message
Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating having
another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a better
(cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper than that.

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fvkiSHOsY

40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.

rob

Old 19-03-2010, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating having
another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a better
(cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper than that.

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fvkiSHOsY

40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.

rob

I didn't quite get what he made the press cage out of (Damn ears are
failing me.). The cage is what gets the pressure, with little support.
Perhaps he was just demonstrating the equipment, but he was squeezing
the apple slurry much too quickly. You need to let the cake drain before
continuing or some of the juice will be physically blocked from
draining. Rice hulls would help the juice find its way around the
pectins.

My god, have you seen the price of Calvados recently? Couple of years
ago, I could get a bottle for $15. Now it is $40 and (way) up.

Old 20-03-2010, 07:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:25:44 +1300, "George"
wrote:

Some *******s never learn eh.

I did find the cooking sherry.

Apparently you don't learn, if you are reduced to drinkin' the cooking
sherry?

did the trick. A change from cooking cider.

rob

Old 20-03-2010, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating having
another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a better
(cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper than
that.

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fvkiSHOsY

40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.

rob

I didn't quite get what he made the press cage out of (Damn ears are
failing me.). The cage is what gets the pressure, with little support.

frame was wooden, screwed & gang nailed.
A bottle jack
A couple of old wood turned spindles
Some mdf cut for a pressure board
An old drum to take the apple cake
A baking tray with a 'nodge' cut out of it

Thats about it.

Perhaps he was just demonstrating the equipment, but he was squeezing
the apple slurry much too quickly. You need to let the cake drain before
continuing or some of the juice will be physically blocked from
draining.

good tip, thanks.

My god, have you seen the price of Calvados recently?

????? ????????

----------- cooking sherry, $10 nz odd per 1 litre bottle.

Old 20-03-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating having
another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a better
(cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper than
that.

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fvkiSHOsY

40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.

rob

I didn't quite get what he made the press cage out of (Damn ears are
failing me.). The cage is what gets the pressure, with little support.

frame was wooden, screwed & gang nailed.
A bottle jack
A couple of old wood turned spindles
Some mdf cut for a pressure board

An old drum to take the apple cake

What does an old drum mean? An old METAL drum? If it is metal, be sure
to give it a good coat of food grade paint. The acids from the apple
juice will leach metal and can cause a haze in the cider.
http://www.vines.org/servlet/VinesRender?search=casse

Old 21-03-2010, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
Some *******s never learn eh. This easter I am contemplating having
another go at some rought home made cider. I am trying to get a
better
(cheap) rig together. Benchmark is this guy

He spent 40 euros apparently. Should be able to do it cheaper than
that.

this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fvkiSHOsY

40 euros!! bloody spendthrift.

rob

I didn't quite get what he made the press cage out of (Damn ears are
failing me.). The cage is what gets the pressure, with little support.

frame was wooden, screwed & gang nailed.
A bottle jack
A couple of old wood turned spindles
Some mdf cut for a pressure board

An old drum to take the apple cake

What does an old drum mean?

I took it to mean a 'bang bang' type drum. I assume it is a wooden with the
skin taken off.

If it is metal I guess the joker would've been aware of rust etc.

I am using a plastic bucket.

rob

Old 21-03-2010, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I just wanted to voice my concerns.
The plastic bucket, is it food grade plastic? It is probably more of a
concern for fermenters, but you may want to consider it.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Old 21-03-2010, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:05:51 +1300, "George"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Some *******s never learn eh.

I did find the cooking sherry.

Apparently you don't learn, if you are reduced to drinkin' the cooking
sherry?

did the trick. A change from cooking cider.

rob

Yeah, this from the bloke who was giving me a ration of shit about
drinkin' my cider young....

Charlie

Hey, any Oporto in a storm ;O)

Old 22-03-2010, 08:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:05:51 +1300, "George"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Some *******s never learn eh.

I did find the cooking sherry.

Apparently you don't learn, if you are reduced to drinkin' the cooking
sherry?

did the trick. A change from cooking cider.

rob

Yeah, this from the bloke who was giving me a ration of shit about
drinkin' my cider young....

No, not me. Billy maybe. I give you heaps about all manner of things, but
not that.

Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry, Riverlea Rich Cream 'Wine'. The result is the
same.

rob

Old 22-03-2010, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. Its HDPE which is a recyclable 2. That was free. My press plates are
also food grade, being 2 old plastic chopping boards that I got from second
hand shops for 50c each and cut down. My 'turkey baking tray' is a food
grade steel waiters tray that I also got for 50c. I will have to cut a
'nodge' in it.

My 3 spindles are not food grade but they also cost a dollar or 2 from
second hand shops. I am going to try and borrow a bottle jack from a
neighbour. If I can't locate one it'll be the scissor jack. I ain't spending
$40 on a brand new bottle jack. The wooden frame I used last year may do the
job again. I'll inspect it next weekend. Might need to laminate my top &
bottom plates. If not, I'll go and get some scrap lengths of timber and
bodge up a sturdy frame. Likely $5 to $10 for all the wood, nails, screws
etc. I'll try and keep costs down by salvaging some of the screws & mails
from my old frame if I need to build a new one.

That should suffice.

Rob

Old 22-03-2010, 08:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:44:51 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Man, the guy drinks cooking sherry....a little plastic leachate likely
ain't gonna hurt 'im one bit.

If I could buy cooking sherry from a second hand shop, that'd be grand.

rob

Old 22-03-2010, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:44:51 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

In article , "George"

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

uh, second hand sherry? You might want to reconsider that one, Rob ;O)

Old 23-03-2010, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

I put you guys crook there. It wasn't 50 cents, it was actually 20 cents.

That is about 10 cents in old US currency but probably about 50cents now,
since your dollar plunged.

rob

Old 23-03-2010, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "George"

wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

In article , "George"

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Plummet is more like it.

The dollar is in the toilette, and the jobs have been sent to Singapore
and Malaysia, where one needn't worry about environmental pollution or
regulations about sweatshops. With more than 820 military installations
in at least 135 countries, fighting two and a half wars in the Middle
East, supporting another in Somalia, and planning for another against
Venezuela, our War Dept. has a base budget of $533.8*billion, plus an
additional $130.0*billion was requested for operations in the
profitable, but fictitious, War on Terrorism. Altogether, the U.S.
spends about $664*billion per year on its military, constituting
approximately 40% of world military expenditures spent by 5% of the
world's population. Outside of direct War Dept.'s spending, the United
States spends another $185*237*billion each year on other
defense(?)-related programs.

Just think, if America only spent 25% of the world's military
expenditures we could have healthcare for everyone, universal college
education, clean water for the entire world, and I might be able to
visit France again.