Old 06-04-2010, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please ID this tree.....

I have two young trees in pots, don't know what they are. Each
growing (new growth) tip branch consists of 8 leaves. Each leaf is
almost perfect oval, only slightly pointed a the tip. They are abt 1
in. long and 1/4 in wide. In the spring it has bright yellow flowers
that are about 3/8 in. in diameter, and have 6 petals. Any ideas?
I live in S. Texas, and the TAMU tree finder website for Texas didn't
seem to have this tree, maybe it does not grow natively here.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , geronimo
writes
I have two young trees in pots, don't know what they are. Each
growing (new growth) tip branch consists of 8 leaves. Each leaf is
almost perfect oval, only slightly pointed a the tip. They are abt 1
in. long and 1/4 in wide.

What you may be describing are single pinnate leaves with 8 leaflets.

In the spring it has bright yellow flowers
that are about 3/8 in. in diameter, and have 6 petals. Any ideas?
I live in S. Texas, and the TAMU tree finder website for Texas didn't
seem to have this tree, maybe it does not grow natively here.

Bright yellow flowers in spring suggests Forsythia, but that has 4
petals. It also flowers while leafless.

Possibly someone in Texas will recognise you plant, but otherwise we
need more details (or photographs).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , geronimo
writes
I have two young trees in pots, don't know what they are. Each
growing (new growth) tip branch consists of 8 leaves. Each leaf is
almost perfect oval, only slightly pointed a the tip. They are abt
1
in. long and 1/4 in wide.

What you may be describing are single pinnate leaves with 8
leaflets.

In the spring it has bright yellow flowers
that are about 3/8 in. in diameter, and have 6 petals. Any ideas?
I live in S. Texas, and the TAMU tree finder website for Texas
didn't
seem to have this tree, maybe it does not grow natively here.

Bright yellow flowers in spring suggests Forsythia, but that has 4
petals. It also flowers while leafless.

Possibly someone in Texas will recognise you plant, but otherwise we
need more details (or photographs).

Or if you are at or near Geronimo, put it out front at the store with
a sign asking customers to tell you the name. ;-)

Tom J

Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

"geronimo" wrote in message
I have two young trees in pots, don't know what they are. Each
growing (new growth) tip branch consists of 8 leaves. Each leaf is
almost perfect oval, only slightly pointed a the tip. They are abt 1
in. long and 1/4 in wide. In the spring it has bright yellow flowers
that are about 3/8 in. in diameter, and have 6 petals. Any ideas?
I live in S. Texas, and the TAMU tree finder website for Texas didn't
seem to have this tree, maybe it does not grow natively here.

I doubt they are trees, sounds more like a shrub, or woody weed. Trees
seldom bloom that small, or that early.