Old 22-04-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default weeding walkways

I put down a lot of bricks and stones last year and I'm getting a lot
of weeds in the cracks. Much of this is away from desirable plant life
so I don't need a specific solution.

I've heard vinegar and a preen follow up. I know nothing about Preen
and I suspect it's the acidity that works in the Vinegar.

I've also vaguely heard about some kind of sand that keeps the weeds out.

Suggestions? I've been hand weeding, but it's an unfair contest.

Jeff
Old 22-04-2010, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I put down a lot of bricks and stones last year and I'm getting a lot
of weeds in the cracks. Much of this is away from desirable plant life
so I don't need a specific solution.

I've heard vinegar and a preen follow up. I know nothing about Preen
and I suspect it's the acidity that works in the Vinegar.

I've also vaguely heard about some kind of sand that keeps the weeds out.

Suggestions? I've been hand weeding, but it's an unfair contest.

Jeff

Maybe, knock them back, and then fill the spaces with moss?
--
- Billy
Old 22-04-2010, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I put down a lot of bricks and stones last year and I'm getting a
lot
of weeds in the cracks. Much of this is away from desirable plant
life
so I don't need a specific solution.

I've heard vinegar and a preen follow up. I know nothing about
Preen
and I suspect it's the acidity that works in the Vinegar.

I've also vaguely heard about some kind of sand that keeps the
weeds out.

Suggestions? I've been hand weeding, but it's an unfair contest.

Jeff

Maybe, knock them back, and then fill the spaces with moss?

I just cleaned out the unsightly moss from between the stones
on our walkway. It would be nice to have a filler between the
stones to make it look nicer, but it would have to be porous
else we'd have a flood after a heavy downpour. Any suggestions?

Fred

Old 22-04-2010, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Fred Williams" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you can steal an idea from this driveway video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIF1Q...eature=related

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 22-04-2010, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/22/10 7:34 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I put down a lot of bricks and stones last year and I'm getting a lot
of weeds in the cracks. Much of this is away from desirable plant life
so I don't need a specific solution.

I've heard vinegar and a preen follow up. I know nothing about Preen
and I suspect it's the acidity that works in the Vinegar.

I've also vaguely heard about some kind of sand that keeps the weeds out.

Suggestions? I've been hand weeding, but it's an unfair contest.

Jeff

When my decomposed granite (DG) walkways were installed in my back yard,
the landscaper placed a groundcloth under the DG. This does not prevent
weeds, but the weed roots cannot grow through the cloth. This makes it
easier to pull the weeds. Further, the cloth is sufficiently porous
that rain does not puddle on the walkways.

I can pull most of the weeds, but a few are so fragile that the tops
come off without the roots. Thus, I just work my way around the
walkways on my hands and knees with a paring knife. I also use a paring
knife to remove weeds growing between the bricks in my front walkway.

I might consider Roundup later this year to eliminate spotted spurge
from my walkways, which starts to set seed by the time I can see the
weeds. Pulling or cutting spotted spurge is too late. If the plant is
big enought to be grabbed between two fingers, it's already left seed
for a new crop.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 22-04-2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
"Fred Williams" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

Not a chance.

Old 23-04-2010, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Fred Williams" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

Short of concrete, something is going to figure out how to make a living
between your stones.
--
- Billy
Old 23-04-2010, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Fred Williams" wrote:

I just cleaned out the unsightly moss from between the stones
on our walkway. It would be nice to have a filler between the
stones to make it look nicer, but it would have to be porous
else we'd have a flood after a heavy downpour. Any suggestions?

Pavers are supposed to butt up to each other with about 1/8" space,
maintained by a couple of bumps molded into the blocks. Pavers should
be set onto a densely compacted base of fine pointing sand about 6"
deep and then the same pointing sand broom swept into the small spaces
regularly over a full season or two. When done correctly there should
be no weeds whatsoever. If your blocks are set on ordinary soil and
with large spaces inbetween then you have no chance of weed free,
none. In order to not have puddling your area needs to be properly
pitched (1/4" per ft).

Old 23-04-2010, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
I put down a lot of bricks and stones last year and I'm getting a lot of
weeds in the cracks. Much of this is away from desirable plant life so I don't
need a specific solution.

I've heard vinegar and a preen follow up. I know nothing about Preen and I
suspect it's the acidity that works in the Vinegar.

vinegar does work and works well. I killed off quite of few weeds that
were growing in my gravel driveway. I used my watering bucket.
Bought cheap vinegar at Wallies.

Donna
in WA

Old 25-04-2010, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 22, 8:25*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff Thies wrote:

* *I put down a lot of bricks and stones last year and I'm getting a lot
of weeds in the cracks. Much of this is away from desirable plant life
so I don't need a specific solution.

(Not sure who wrote this)

* *I've heard vinegar and a preen follow up. I know nothing about Preen
and I suspect it's the acidity that works in the Vinegar.

I never heard of Preen, so looked it up on-line. Says it is a
combination
of mulch and pre-emergent herbicide.

They don't give the formula.

How can a pre-emergent herbicide be safe for food products?

Any info out there?

Persephone

Old 25-04-2010, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Apr 22, 8:25*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff Thies wrote:

* *I put down a lot of bricks and stones last year and I'm getting a lot
of weeds in the cracks. Much of this is away from desirable plant life
so I don't need a specific solution.

(Not sure who wrote this)

* *I've heard vinegar and a preen follow up. I know nothing about Preen
and I suspect it's the acidity that works in the Vinegar.

I never heard of Preen, so looked it up on-line. Says it is a
combination
of mulch and pre-emergent herbicide.

They don't give the formula.

How can a pre-emergent herbicide be safe for food products?

Any info out there?

Persephone

Corn gluten is also a pre-emergent for anyone who cares.
--
- Billy
Old 25-04-2010, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Rant rant rant, rant. More than one psycho on here in need of medication.

The Hate America First crowd is now on here, full swing !!

I simply post a query about the proper feeding of roses, and this nut starts
ranting about America going to war for oil !! Now who do you think is the
nut in this crowd ?

Grab your meds, take them, and then PLEASE let's go back to growing roses
and other garden items !!

James

Old 25-04-2010, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"James" wrote:

Rant rant rant, rant. More than one psycho on here in need of medication.

The Hate America First crowd is now on here, full swing !!

I simply post a query about the proper feeding of roses, and this nut starts
ranting about America going to war for oil !! Now who do you think is the
nut in this crowd ?

Grab your meds, take them, and then PLEASE let's go back to growing roses
and other garden items !!

James

James you may want to post this in your Rose tread

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 25-04-2010, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ooops, I do apologize/ got it in the wrong thread... sorry

James

Old 25-04-2010, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Apr 22, 8:25 am, Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I put down a lot of bricks and stones last year and I'm getting a lot
of weeds in the cracks. Much of this is away from desirable plant life
so I don't need a specific solution.

(Not sure who wrote this)
I've heard vinegar and a preen follow up. I know nothing about Preen
and I suspect it's the acidity that works in the Vinegar.

I never heard of Preen, so looked it up on-line. Says it is a
combination
of mulch and pre-emergent herbicide.

They don't give the formula.

How can a pre-emergent herbicide be safe for food products?

Any info out there?

Persephone

Corn gluten is also a pre-emergent for anyone who cares.

Apparently Iowa State does:

http://www.hort.iastate.edu/gluten/?

Instructions he

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...lutenmeal.html