Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Registered User

Location: wirral
Default Dance Partners Wanted

Does anyone have an idea for a planting partner for my snakeshead fritillaries?

I planted them in the damp ground at the edge of a pond last autumn and they have done well - but they look so self conscious, standing there all alone like wallflowers on a dance floor. I don't want anything taller, and it would have to be something that would flower at the same time. Most of the pond plants seem to come out a little later - otherwise small irises might have been perfect.

Any suggestions welcome!

Sue
Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Sue Holt

Mimulus, Brass Buttons, Pennyroyal.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Sue Holt
writes

Does anyone have an idea for a planting partner for my snakeshead
fritillaries?

I planted them in the damp ground at the edge of a pond last autumn and
they have done well - but they look so self conscious, standing there
all alone like wallflowers on a dance floor. I don't want anything
taller, and it would have to be something that would flower at the same
time. Most of the pond plants seem to come out a little later -
otherwise small irises might have been perfect.

I came across a small iris in flower on Sunday - Iris tenuifolia. Since
it's not long since I saw Fritillaria meleagris in flower perhaps they
would do. (OTOH, the Iris tenuifolia was growing in a raised bed, so
perhaps the edge of a pond is not the ideal place for them.)

Any suggestions welcome!

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley