Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Registered User

Question Unknown bulb / plant identification

First post! Hello everybody!

Since buying a new house in October, I'm currently working through the overgrown / uncared for garden discovering all sorts.

However, I've been unable to identify this one, which has shot up over the past month...

I believe it's grown up from a bulb / tuber, but not entirely sure. Currently (in photo) about 25cms but growing reasonably quickly. Is planted within a raised herb border including rosemary, sage (i think), thyme, lavender, so perhaps it's complimentary to these (albeit this is obviously not a shrub)?

Any help to identify would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation!

Best regards,

Tom
Old 05-05-2010, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Unknown bulb / plant identification

[image: http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4...019medium.jpg]

--
le_plop

Hello,
this could be horse-radish.

Willi

Old 06-05-2010, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Willi wrote:
[...]

I don't think so, horseraddish has broader leaves and a less erect habit.
Sorry I don't know what it is though.

David
Willi

Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Willi wrote:
[...]

It could indeed, I think Willi's right. If you can determine for sure
it is horseradish, consider moving it somewhere else if you want to keep
it - ideally, plant it in a 5-gallon bucket. Horseradish is very
invasive (it's almost impossible to harvest without a few small side
roots being left behind), and it will eventually take over the whole
herb bed.

Tony
Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Willi wrote:
"le_plop" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

First post! Hello everybody!

However, I've been unable to identify this one, which has shot up
over the past month...

[image: http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4...019medium.jpg]

Hello,
this could be horse-radish.

I don't think so, horseraddish has broader leaves and a less erect habit.
Sorry I don't know what it is though.

It certainly doesn't look anything like my horseradish. And I too have no
idea other than it doesn't look like any horseradish I've ever seen.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmI View Post
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Willi wrote:
"le_plop"
schrieb im Newsbeitrag

First post! Hello everybody!

However, I've been unable to identify this one, which has shot up
over the past month...

[image:
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4...019medium.jpg]
Hello,
this could be horse-radish.

I don't think so, horseraddish has broader leaves and a less erect habit.
Sorry I don't know what it is though.

It certainly doesn't look anything like my horseradish. And I too have no
idea other than it doesn't look like any horseradish I've ever seen.

My horseradish has leaves like those at the moment. By the summer they'll be bigger and broader like sorrel.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"le_plop" wrote in message

First post! Hello everybody!

Since buying a new house in October, I'm currently working through the
overgrown / uncared for garden discovering all sorts.

However, I've been unable to identify this one, which has shot up over
the past month...

[image: http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4...019medium.jpg]

I believe it's grown up from a bulb / tuber, but not entirely sure.
Currently (in photo) about 25cms but growing reasonably quickly. Is
planted within a raised herb border including rosemary, sage (i think),
thyme, lavender, so perhaps it's complimentary to these (albeit this is
obviously not a shrub)?

Any help to identify would be appreciated.

I thought about your post overnight. It isn't the culinary horseradish but
it might be salsify (aka 'oyster plant') - that has the habit of that sort
of growth.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered User

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Tony - the garden / herb border has been left unattended for many years, i believe, and there still only appears to be one or two of these plants that have shot up... would that lead you to think it may NOT be horseradish, or is it possible it's just not a fast propogating variety?

Cheers,

Tom
Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

le_plop wrote:
Hi everyone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Tony - the garden / herb border has been left unattended for man
years, i believe, and there still only appears to be one or two of thes
plants that have shot up... would that lead you to think it may NOT b
horseradish, or is it possible it's just not a fast propogatin
variety?

Cheers,

If left unattended for many years, then it most likely is something
else, yes. But I *did* say: "Could be". :D

Tony
Old 14-05-2010, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

le_plop wrote:
Hi everyone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Tony - the garden / herb border has been left unattended for many
years, i believe, and there still only appears to be one or two of
these plants that have shot up... would that lead you to think it may
NOT be horseradish, or is it possible it's just not a fast propogating
variety?

Cheers,

Tom

You can tell for sure by the smell of a broken root.

David

Old 14-05-2010, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"le_plop" wrote in message

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Tony - the garden / herb border has been left unattended for many
years, i believe, and there still only appears to be one or two of these
plants that have shot up... would that lead you to think it may NOT be
horseradish, or is it possible it's just not a fast propogating
variety?

It'd have more to do with the type of conditions in that spot. I have some
horseradish in one spot that is hard, hungry and as dry as a dead dingo's
boys bits and each year I only get one or two small bits coming up. In a
more fertile moist place it'd almost be classed as a feral plant.