Old 16-05-2010, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default I must have dug a thousand dandelions today

I'm trying to reclaim a big flower bed that has been neglected for a
couple of years. Rather than spray it with Roundup, I've been digging
out the weeds (mostly dandelions.) The depressing thing is that the
ground is white with dandelion seeds, but if I cover them with mulch
maybe the earthworms will eat them.

I have found some perennials in there that I thought were gone; lilies,
liatris, evening primrose, and Echinacea (I knew there were a few
Echinacea in there.) And the dirt looks pretty good. Unfortunately
about half of the dandelions are breaking off about 6 to 8 inches down.
So I'm getting *almost* all the roots out, but probably leaving enough
in there that they'll resprout. Hopefully it takes all their energy to
send up just one or two shoots and if I keep the tops hoed down they'll
die quickly enough. Or I can spot treat with Roundup. But I'd rather
get it done naturally.

The johnny jump-ups are especially pretty this year. I'm working around
them as much as possible.

Bob
Old 16-05-2010, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
says...
[...]

Personally, I would just put down cardboard, weighted with large
rocks or bricks, and leave it for a few weeks.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 16-05-2010, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

[...]

Why don't you eat them? Dandelion is particularly healthful in a salad,
and is beneficial to the ground, and Johnny Jump Ups (Viola cornuta) you
can eat their young leaves and flower buds - raw or cooked, and when
added to soup they thicken it in much the same way as okra. Flowers -
can be eaten raw, and a tea can be made from the leaves
--
- Billy
Old 16-05-2010, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Bob wrote:
[...]
ground is white with dandelion seeds

Weeding a tad late. Oh well. Dandelions are pretty easy to control
by weeding alone, *if* you do the weeding before they go to seed.
Mulch should thoroughly smother the seeds.

about half of the dandelions are breaking off about 6 to 8 inches down.

Not to worry. Dandelions won't regrow from the tap root; just get
the crown. (Catsears aka false dandelions may regrow.)

Una

Old 16-05-2010, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Una wrote:
Not to worry. Dandelions won't regrow from the tap root; just get
the crown.

brooklyn1 wrote:
That's not true. If any part of the taproot remains it can regrow new
dandelion plants.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7469.html

The source here explains that a piece of taproot as short as 1 inch
can regrow. However, in my experience the conditions have to be
very favorable, meaning the piece is near the surface (in the crown
zone), soil moisture is good, etc.

Also, although the common dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) is a
perennial plant, survivorship over winter fairly poor. So again,
eliminating seed set is the first line defense against this weed.
When I have less time or the ground is dry and hard, I sometimes
merely pinch off the flowers.

Because plants in flower can set seed after being grubbed out, and
because the roots can regrow, dandelion remains should not be left
behind as mulch. I put all dandelion remains on the compost pile,
covered.

Una

Old 17-05-2010, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:
I'm trying to reclaim a big flower bed that has been neglected for a
couple of years. Rather than spray it with Roundup, I've been digging
out the weeds (mostly dandelions.) The depressing thing is that the
ground is white with dandelion seeds, but if I cover them with mulch
maybe the earthworms will eat them.

At this point, I'd be tempted to hit them with the weed burner.

Old 18-05-2010, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ever made dandelion wine? My parents loved it.

http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/dandelionwine.htm

Paul

Old 20-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Registered User

Location: London

I have had a similar problem with my lawn so I will try and take some of the advice from this thread. Thanks!
__________________
gardening for children

Old 20-05-2010, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Onei wrote:
I have had a similar problem with my lawn so I will try and take some of
the advice from this thread. Thanks!

You'll do fine.

Despite two neighbors who grow big crops of dandelion seeds, my lawn
has very few dandelions and I control them by grubbing them out with
a digging knife before they seed. I do it this way because I patrol
the lawn for several other undesirable kinds of plants that are best
controlled by being grubbed out.

One neighbor tries to control dandelions by mowing; the other uses
an herbicide. Both of these methods are effective when used at the
right time. Unfortunately, both neighbors usually wait until after
the first bumper crop of seeds has been shed. Wrong time. Oh well.

Timing is a big part of efficient gardening.

Una

Old 27-05-2010, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Coffee's For Closers wrote in
:

Personally, I would just put down cardboard, weighted with large
rocks or bricks, and leave it for a few weeks.

that kills everything. hard to "reclaim" the plants you want to save
after you kill them
lee