Old 23-05-2010, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default More problems - slugs

I visited the plants tonight and one of my cucumber pots was crawling with
slugs. I removed about a dozen by hand. How effective are the natural
remedies. I searched the Net and see that a bowl of cheap beer attracts the
slugs who apparently are alcoholics. Once sated with the beer they forget
to exit the bowl and die. Happily. Would a bowl of chips increase the
effectiveness?

Anyone have any favorite methods? I'd even consider a chemical solution if
it were not especially toxic.

Can I expect slugs to be less of an issue when the summer heat arrives? Do
they burrow into the soil in the pots?

Old 23-05-2010, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fry the little critters in butter and eat them for a snack while you
drink cheap beer. They are very tasty especially after the third six
pack!

Old 23-05-2010, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I visited the plants tonight and one of my cucumber pots was crawling with
slugs. I removed about a dozen by hand. How effective are the natural
remedies. I searched the Net and see that a bowl of cheap beer attracts the
slugs who apparently are alcoholics. Once sated with the beer they forget
to exit the bowl and die. Happily. Would a bowl of chips increase the
effectiveness?

Anyone have any favorite methods? I'd even consider a chemical solution if
it were not especially toxic.

Can I expect slugs to be less of an issue when the summer heat arrives? Do
they burrow into the soil in the pots?

You sure, you should be gardening?
--
- Billy
Old 23-05-2010, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I visited the plants tonight and one of my cucumber pots was crawling
with
slugs. I removed about a dozen by hand. How effective are the natural
remedies. I searched the Net and see that a bowl of cheap beer attracts
the
slugs who apparently are alcoholics. Once sated with the beer they
forget
to exit the bowl and die. Happily. Would a bowl of chips increase the
effectiveness?

Anyone have any favorite methods? I'd even consider a chemical solution
if
it were not especially toxic.

Can I expect slugs to be less of an issue when the summer heat arrives?
Do
they burrow into the soil in the pots?

You sure, you should be gardening?
--

OK, so this means you have nothing of any use to say?

Paul

Old 23-05-2010, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

Fry the little critters in butter and eat them for a snack while you
drink cheap beer. They are very tasty especially after the third six
pack!

And you could stick your face in it to pluck them out, like bobbing for
apples.

Paul

Old 23-05-2010, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:35:30 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

I visited the plants tonight and one of my cucumber pots was crawling with
slugs. I removed about a dozen by hand. How effective are the natural
remedies. I searched the Net and see that a bowl of cheap beer attracts the
slugs who apparently are alcoholics. Once sated with the beer they forget
to exit the bowl and die. Happily. Would a bowl of chips increase the
effectiveness?

Anyone have any favorite methods? I'd even consider a chemical solution if
it were not especially toxic.

Can I expect slugs to be less of an issue when the summer heat arrives? Do
they burrow into the soil in the pots?

Iron Phosphate is a good bait. Slugs don't like to cross metal
strips, hair, sharp sand, ashes. I keep a small (wild) box turtle in
my garden to eat the slugs.
Old 23-05-2010, 11:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:17:35 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

[...]

I doubt it, but it looks like this newsgroup is getting closer to
"dead."
Old 23-05-2010, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:17:35 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

[...]

It's a shame. I've been a newsgroup junkie since 88. Sorry to see it all
pass.

Paul

Old 23-05-2010, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:17:35 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

[...]

According to goggle groups you have not posted that much till 2008 and
I'd guess your number increase is due to cross posting.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 23-05-2010, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:17:35 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

[...]

Should have posted this.

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...AATS0YxY9w7TLK
2DjOjhfzs

Old 23-05-2010, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:17:35 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

[...]

You probably don't know this but Google was not always the owner of the
newsgroup archives.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...cook%40gte.net

That was one from 97. There are plenty more earlier than that.

Uh, I worked in academia before 1) the Internet was open to the public and
2) Google did not exist and 3) before AOL and existed even. In fact, I was
a computer science major in college in the early 80s and our school worked
on some of the original RFCs for various Internet protocols like NNTP. I
also worked for DARPA after college while working for the DoD. My first
newsgroup post (before they were even archived) was in 1988 on a COBOL
programmers group. I was a CompuServe subscriber long before the Internet
was even public.

So I've been around a very long time.

Paul

Old 23-05-2010, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:17:35 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

[...]

1997 was the year Google bought the Dejanews archives. At that time
Dejanews archives went back to 1995. Sorry dude, I've been around since the
birth of the net and I even got to take part in the delivery. I still have
a nanosecond I got from Admiral Grace Hopper. It.s a piece of wire 11.8
inches long. And I treasure it.

Paul

Old 23-05-2010, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:17:35 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
..
.
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

[...]

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...thread/fb7da3f
cf75cce9d/185cb59c1360de6?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=authormcook%40gte.net

That was one from 97. There are plenty more earlier than that.

Uh, I worked in academia before 1) the Internet was open to the public and
2) Google did not exist and 3) before AOL and existed even. In fact, I was
a computer science major in college in the early 80s and our school worked
on some of the original RFCs for various Internet protocols like NNTP. I
also worked for DARPA after college while working for the DoD. My first
newsgroup post (before they were even archived) was in 1988 on a COBOL
programmers group. I was a CompuServe subscriber long before the Internet
was even public.

So I've been around a very long time.

Paul

It's amazing how long some folks stay alive. Still, he says he worked
for the Defense Dept., which would answer a lot of questions.
--
- Billy
Old 24-05-2010, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:17:35 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
..
.
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

[...]

Hey billyboy, you basically have 2 options he one, put me in your
killfile and two, just ignore me using your impressive powers of restraint.
Other than that your options are pretty limited. I for one have no use for
you or your type. If my plebian questions about garden plants offend you,
that is your issue, not mine.

Paul

Old 24-05-2010, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
I visited the plants tonight and one of my cucumber pots was crawling with
slugs. I removed about a dozen by hand. How effective are the natural
remedies. I searched the Net and see that a bowl of cheap beer attracts
the slugs who apparently are alcoholics. Once sated with the beer they
forget to exit the bowl and die. Happily. Would a bowl of chips increase
the effectiveness?

Anyone have any favorite methods? I'd even consider a chemical solution
if it were not especially toxic.

Can I expect slugs to be less of an issue when the summer heat arrives?
Do they burrow into the soil in the pots?

The beer works great. The dish needs to be shallow enough for them to get
into. They are attracted to the beer, get into the dish and then cannot get
out and drown. You'll be amazed at how many you'll find. Each day, there
will be fewer and fewer. When I had this problem, I used several dishes. It
only took about 3-4 days until they were all gone. HTH

Gloria