Old 23-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered User

Default What to plant in between paving

Hi, does anyone know of any plants that I can plant between paving slabs on my patio, something low growing, can cope with being walked on a bit, the patio is full sun most of the day so would get very hot.

Thanks
Old 23-05-2010, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

ld0121 wrote:
Hi, does anyone know of any plants that I can plant between paving slabs
on my patio, something low growing, can cope with being walked on a bit,
the patio is full sun most of the day so would get very hot.

How wide are the gaps between slabs?

Una
Old 23-05-2010, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/23/10 7:44 AM, Una wrote:
ld0121 wrote:
Hi, does anyone know of any plants that I can plant between paving slabs
on my patio, something low growing, can cope with being walked on a bit,
the patio is full sun most of the day so would get very hot.

How wide are the gaps between slabs?

Una

And where are you? That is, what is your climate?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 23-05-2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

ld0121 wrote:
Hi, does anyone know of any plants that I can plant between paving slabs
on my patio, something low growing, can cope with being walked on a bit,
the patio is full sun most of the day so would get very hot.

Thanks

Creeping thyme or moss.

gloria p
Old 23-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered User

Hi, the gaps are about 2 inches wide

Old 23-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld0121 View Post
Hi, the gaps are about 2 inches wide
Not far from Birmingham, but the patio gets full sun for most of the day, so can get very hot.
Old 24-05-2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

gloria.p wrote:
ld0121 wrote:
Hi, does anyone know of any plants that I can plant between paving
slabs on my patio, something low growing, can cope with being walked
on a bit, the patio is full sun most of the day so would get very
hot.

Thanks

Creeping thyme or moss.

gloria p

How is moss going to grow in mostly full sun where it gets very hot?

David
Old 24-05-2010, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
gloria.p wrote:
ld0121 wrote:
Hi, does anyone know of any plants that I can plant between paving
slabs on my patio, something low growing, can cope with being walked
on a bit, the patio is full sun most of the day so would get very
hot.
Thanks

Creeping thyme or moss.

gloria p

How is moss going to grow in mostly full sun where it gets very hot?

David

Mea culpa. You are right about the moss. Any other suggestions?

gloria p
Old 24-05-2010, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

ld0121 wrote:
Hi, the gaps are about 2 inches wide

And where are you? Western Europe, northeastern Australia, southern
California?

Una

Old 24-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Registered User

Birmingham UK

Old 24-05-2010, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Una wrote:
ld0121 wrote:
Hi, does anyone know of any plants that I can plant between paving slabs
on my patio, something low growing, can cope with being walked on a bit,
the patio is full sun most of the day so would get very hot.

How wide are the gaps between slabs?

Una

My response here is completely OT, but your name reminds me of a story
of a friend who was a clerk in the Army.

They started getting a lot of paperwork that was stamped: UNA

Now, what did that mean? Use No Abbreviations!

I imagine your name has a different origin :-)

Jeff
Old 24-05-2010, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , ld0121
wrote:

Birmingham UK

and?
--
- Billy
Old 24-05-2010, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

With crevices 2 inches wide, you'll want sand and/or gravel between
the slabs, flush with the slabs, so people don't roll their ankles on
the edges of the slabs. With very narrow crevices you can have the
soil recessed, and a fragile plant that is protected in the crevice.

ld0121 wrote:
Birmingham UK

That's coastal temperate, cool and wet year round. Similar to Pacific
northwest in North America. Moss would do well. Go out scouting for
some in the neighborhood, and make a mess as Billy described (I would
do it in a bucket) and smear it where you want the moss to grow.

Another crevice plant that works well is something sold as "Irish moss"
in the US that is not a moss but an angiosperm, species Sagina subulata.
It likes sandy soil and copes better than moss does with being stepped
on.

You might also try a very short variety of turf grass. One that never
grows more than 1 or 2 inches tall, so you don't ever have to mow it.
These are grasses used on golf courses. However, this may involve
more weeding than you care for. In a highly urban (paved) environment
where natural sources of seeds are limited, weeding would be minimal.

Una

Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Registered User

You can also try in a very short lawn grass varieties. The only non- Grows more than 1 or 2 inches high, so you do not have inseparable. The grass used for golf courses.
Pond Supplies