Old 25-05-2010, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Round-Up- how long wait before planting?

Reluctantly I used Round-Up (tfui!) on an small area where nasty weeds
had been obnoxiously growing around a stump I have just had removed.

I want to put something else in there, but am not too experienced with
Round-Up.

How long should I wait, for safety's sake, before transplanting a
shrub in that area?

TIA

Hypatia
Old 25-05-2010, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/24/2010 8:26 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Reluctantly I used Round-Up (tfui!) on an small area where nasty weeds
had been obnoxiously growing around a stump I have just had removed.

I want to put something else in there, but am not too experienced with
Round-Up.

How long should I wait, for safety's sake, before transplanting a
shrub in that area?

TIA

Hypatia

You can safely overplant immediately. But it might be better to wait
until the weeds are showing some distress before you disturb them, to
make sure the RU has made its way into the roots.

Bob
Old 25-05-2010, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 24, 6:29*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
On 5/24/2010 8:26 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Reluctantly I used Round-Up (tfui!) on an small area where nasty weeds
had been obnoxiously growing around a stump I have just had removed.

I want to put something else in there, but am not too experienced with
Round-Up.

How long should I wait, for safety's sake, before transplanting a
shrub in that area?

TIA

Hypatia

You can safely overplant immediately. *But it might be better to wait
until the weeds are showing some distress before you disturb them, to
make sure the RU has made its way into the roots.

Bob

Sorry, my message was not clear. The gardener who dug out the stump
took the weeds out as well. I was worried about deeper roots, so
applied
the (tfui) Round-Up. Nothing is now showing on the surface, so that
is why I am confused about how long I need to wait while Round-Up
does its thing underground.

Old 25-05-2010, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote:
On 5/24/2010 8:26 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Reluctantly I used Round-Up (tfui!) on an small area where nasty weeds
had been obnoxiously growing around a stump I have just had removed.

I want to put something else in there, but am not too experienced with
Round-Up.

How long should I wait, for safety's sake, before transplanting a
shrub in that area?

TIA

Hypatia

You can safely overplant immediately. But it might be better to wait
until the weeds are showing some distress before you disturb them, to
make sure the RU has made its way into the roots.

Bob

Beyond that, does the label on the Roundup address that issue? I would
think it would.

Tony
Old 25-05-2010, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/24/10 8:00 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I read the label of RoundUp concentrate some time ago, but I remember
that three days is sufficient time for the chemical remaining in the
soil to decompose. Its action depends on being taken up through foliage
and then translocating via sap into the roots. Any RoundUp applied to
the soil is wasted, but it is not persistent.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 25-05-2010, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

You are wasting your time as it will not do anything underground. Glyphoste
needs to be absorbed through the leaves of the plant to work, it may then be
transported to other parts and so kill the whole plant not just where it
touched. This is why you are instructed to apply it to plants when they are
growing vigorously for best results.

David

Old 25-05-2010, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 24, 8:57*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks to both Davids. I should have read the label before I
posted.
Just was nervous about Round-Up. So I can feel free to transplant.
Tx again.

Old 27-05-2010, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

In my (belated) defense, I DID read the damn label, but evidently I
didn't understand it very well!