Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Registered User

Question Tree roots - can I cut them at all?

20+ years ago I planted a silver birch sapling which is now a beautul mature tree and the pride of my garden.

At the same time I laid a york stone patio right next to it. Unfortunately (if not surprisingly!) the tree roots have lifted and tilted several of the flagstones to the point that the patio is positively dangerous & needs to be re-laid

Can I cut back problem roots from the birch at all?? or do I have to raise the whole patio by the three inches necessary to clear them???

Any advice gratefully received