Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rusty roses

Am suffering through a disgusting attack of rust on my roses. (This
after just posting that garlic keeps off pests!)

As another poster just noted, it came on SUDDENLY!

I went on-line to read up, and found most entries fairly similar.

Wikipedia says:

"Rose rust can be treated by pruning out spring infections as soon as
they emerge and removing fallen leaves promptly during autumn. (If
infections are persistently troublesome, it may be that the cultivar
concerned is unusually susceptible, and it may be necessary to replace
it.)

Chemical treatments for rose rust are fungicides containing mancozeb,
myclobutanil, penconazole and triticonazole —all to be sprayed in
spring and summer.

Neem oil diluted and sprayed on leaves is an effective organic
treatment for controlling rose rust and powdery mildew ."

Another site says:

"Preventing Rose Rust

Rose rust, a condition that affects rose plants, is one where dark
spots of fungus develop on leaves and blossoms. Rose rust disease
occurs most frequently in humid environments where the fungus grows.
The disease is spread when winds blow fungal spores onto rose plants,
where they attach and develop.
Identifying and Treating Rose Rust

Monitor your roses carefully for signs of rose rust. The fungus may be
dark yellow to brown in color and will appear in small, pea-sized
patches all over the plant. Check underneath leaves for signs of rose
rust disease as well.

Clean off visible spots of fungus from your rose plants before
treating them with a fungicide spray. Remove any parts of the plant
that contain dark spots, as these may spread to other areas if not
destroyed. Treat the affected plants with fungicide once every 10 to
14 days as needed. Rose rust treatment will be most effective if you
pick off all infected leaves and stems first.

Rose rust disease is easily treatable, but takes a careful eye to
notice the fungus before the disease is widespread. Monitor your roses
carefully for signs of rose rust disease and then act quickly when you
detect any symptoms of the disease.

Read mo http://www.doityourself.com/stry/preventing-rose-rust#ixzz0pub0q670"

Would appreciate your input on the following:

1. this is So. Cal Coastal. Can I still spray some of those
horrible-sounding chemicals?

2. There's pro and con about effectiveness of Neem oil. Your opinon/
experience?

3. I didn't notice any "spring infections"; the roses looked very
healthy. This came on suddenly.
"Should" I apply something in Spring, regardless?

TIA