Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rusty roses

Am suffering through a disgusting attack of rust on my roses. (This
after just posting that garlic keeps off pests!)

As another poster just noted, it came on SUDDENLY!

I went on-line to read up, and found most entries fairly similar.

Wikipedia says:

"Rose rust can be treated by pruning out spring infections as soon as
they emerge and removing fallen leaves promptly during autumn. (If
infections are persistently troublesome, it may be that the cultivar
concerned is unusually susceptible, and it may be necessary to replace
it.)

Chemical treatments for rose rust are fungicides containing mancozeb,
myclobutanil, penconazole and triticonazole —all to be sprayed in
spring and summer.

Neem oil diluted and sprayed on leaves is an effective organic
treatment for controlling rose rust and powdery mildew ."

Another site says:

"Preventing Rose Rust

Rose rust, a condition that affects rose plants, is one where dark
spots of fungus develop on leaves and blossoms. Rose rust disease
occurs most frequently in humid environments where the fungus grows.
The disease is spread when winds blow fungal spores onto rose plants,
where they attach and develop.
Identifying and Treating Rose Rust

Monitor your roses carefully for signs of rose rust. The fungus may be
dark yellow to brown in color and will appear in small, pea-sized
patches all over the plant. Check underneath leaves for signs of rose
rust disease as well.

Clean off visible spots of fungus from your rose plants before
treating them with a fungicide spray. Remove any parts of the plant
that contain dark spots, as these may spread to other areas if not
destroyed. Treat the affected plants with fungicide once every 10 to
14 days as needed. Rose rust treatment will be most effective if you
pick off all infected leaves and stems first.

Rose rust disease is easily treatable, but takes a careful eye to
notice the fungus before the disease is widespread. Monitor your roses
carefully for signs of rose rust disease and then act quickly when you
detect any symptoms of the disease.

Read mo http://www.doityourself.com/stry/preventing-rose-rust#ixzz0pub0q670"

Would appreciate your input on the following:

1. this is So. Cal Coastal. Can I still spray some of those
horrible-sounding chemicals?

2. There's pro and con about effectiveness of Neem oil. Your opinon/
experience?

3. I didn't notice any "spring infections"; the roses looked very
healthy. This came on suddenly.
"Should" I apply something in Spring, regardless?

TIA

Old 25-06-2010, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 4, 11:52*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

STILL HOPING FOR SOME INPUT ON THESE QUESTIONS.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON EFFECTIVE "HORRIBLE CHEMICALS"

AND EFFICACY OF NEEM OIL?

TIA
Old 19-07-2010, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Good Online Source for Roses ??

It looks like Jackson & Perkins has gone belly-up. Can anyone here
recommend a good online source for ordering roses ?

Thanks !!

James

Old 19-07-2010, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

"James" wrote in message
It looks like Jackson & Perkins has gone belly-up. Can anyone here
recommend a good online source for ordering roses ?

You don't tell us which country you live in so most answers will be totally
irrelevant. If you live in Oz than Swanes, Ross Roses and Treloar all have
good reputations:
http://www.treloarroses.com.au/
http://www.swanes.com/
http://www.rossroses.com.au/#

Old 19-07-2010, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:26:01 -0400, "James"
wrote:

It looks like Jackson & Perkins has gone belly-up. Can anyone here
recommend a good online source for ordering roses ?

Thanks !!

James

What happened to J&P?

Meanwhile, for specialty roses, try David Austin:

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/american/advanced.asp

For what I consider run-of-the-mill roses, I have had excellent luck
in the spring at Costco or BJs (in the US...I assume you are here,
too).

Each store has inexpensive two packs of classics, such as Lincoln or
climbers of even singles of tree roses (I have a spectacular Julia
Child floribunda tree rose that has been blooming all summer that was
less than $20.)

Boron

Old 19-07-2010, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

It looks like Jackson & Perkins has gone belly-up. Can anyone here
recommend a good online source for ordering roses ?

Thanks !!

James

What happened to J&P?

Meanwhile, for specialty roses, try David Austin:

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/american/advanced.asp

For what I consider run-of-the-mill roses, I have had excellent luck
in the spring at Costco or BJs (in the US...I assume you are here,
too).

Each store has inexpensive two packs of classics, such as Lincoln or
climbers of even singles of tree roses (I have a spectacular Julia
Child floribunda tree rose that has been blooming all summer that was
less than $20.)

Boron

I've found David Austin roses able to put up with my neglect and shade.
Some of the varieties do not look like classic teas but the scents are
there and tactile images. Worth a hard look.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 19-07-2010, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:00:32 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

There are still J&P roses available from resellers. The original
founders of J&P passed on and the family sold the business, it has
since been sold several times. There is still a web site with
plants/products but no roses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson...erkins_Company
Old 23-07-2010, 11:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

thanks to all who replied...... yes, I am in the USA, I forgot to mention
that....

it looks like David Austin is a good source...

again, thanks !!!

James

Old 24-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Registered User

Roses require a lot of water to keep themselves alive and sometimes sprays have to be used also to improve the health of these flowers.
online high school