Old 04-07-2010, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pruning OK now?

I have a dogwood that is growing fast. In fact, so fast that there are
branches heading for my neighbors garden. I was wondering if it would
be a good idea to nip them off during this season? Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

noel888 wrote:
I have a dogwood that is growing fast. In fact, so fast that there are
branches heading for my neighbors garden. I was wondering if it would
be a good idea to nip them off during this season? Thanks

Depends how big they are. I do preventive pruning (pinching) whenever I
see a tiny new twig growing where I don't want a branch. This is minimally
stressful for the tree. Major pruning should be reserved for the dormant
season, in most cases.

If your neighbor is likely to start hacking at the tree unless you prune
it now, then prune it now.

The bottom line: don't cause the tree unnecessary physiological stress.

Una

Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

noel888 wrote:

I have a dogwood that is growing fast. In fact, so fast that there are
branches heading for my neighbors garden. I was wondering if it would
be a good idea to nip them off during this season? Thanks

Dogwood is a slow growing tree.
Are you positive it's dogwood?
Post a picture.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 4, 11:21*am, brooklyn1 wrote:
noel888 wrote:

I have a dogwood that is growing fast. In fact, so fast that there are
branches heading for my neighbors garden. I was wondering if it would
be a good idea to nip them off during this season? Thanks

Dogwood is a slow growing tree. *
Are you positive it's dogwood? *
Post a picture.

The info that came with it says "Red Twig Dogwood" and its a fast
grower
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

noel888 wrote:

I have a dogwood that is growing fast. In fact, so fast that there are
branches heading for my neighbors garden. I was wondering if it would
be a good idea to nip them off during this season? Thanks

Dogwood is a slow growing tree. *
Are you positive it's dogwood? *
Post a picture.

The info that came with it says "Red Twig Dogwood" and its a fast
grower

"Red Twig Dogwood" is a shrub/bush, it doesn't grow very large. If
it's encroaching onto your neighbor's property then you planted it too
close to the property line.... if just planted you can move it.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/shru...ig_dogwood.htm