Old 21-07-2010, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Apple scab -- still good for juice?

By chance, would anyone know if Jonathan apples that have scab
(untreated trees) would still make good juice?

I've been told to "press away" -- but just want to confirm.

Certainly, a perfectionist may not want to use them but does it still
make a pretty good juice? (After filtering etc).

Thanks.
Old 23-07-2010, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

mkr5000 wrote:
By chance, would anyone know if Jonathan apples that have scab
(untreated trees) would still make good juice?

I've been told to "press away" -- but just want to confirm.

Certainly, a perfectionist may not want to use them but does it still
make a pretty good juice? (After filtering etc).

No problem at all. I've been doing it for many years.

Old 24-07-2010, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

mkr5000 wrote:
By chance, would anyone know if Jonathan apples that have scab
(untreated trees) would still make good juice?

Sure. I'd probably cut off the worst scabs and any badly damaged
cracks, though.

I'd also diligently remove all litter from under the tree and run
the litter through a hot compost pile. Ie compost it with active
turning of the pile and just enough water, so that the composting
goes fast and hot. Spread the finished compost under the trees.
That will go a long way toward controlling the fungus, as well as
some other pests.

I've been told to "press away" -- but just want to confirm.

Talk to your county agricultural extension agent? They can offer
good, specific advice. And it is free.

Una