Old 19-08-2010, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Podocarpus(Fern Pine) question

Do any of you have any of these? They look perfect for a couple small spaces
I have. From googling them I see they are slow growing and can be easily
controlled for heighth and width. My question is, how slow growing are they?
Any place here that has them the heighth I would like, 6-7' from the top of
the container,the limbs are pretty sparsley spaced. Seems they are this way
probably from being there for a while and other trees shoved in around them
blocking the sun, and are probably pretty root bound. They are however very
reasonabily priced. If I got one and planted it, how long would it take to
start bushing out with new limbs. I live in zone 8B I believe, San
Bernardino area of So. Cal. Thanks for any info.

--
Paul O.

Old 19-08-2010, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/19/10 9:29 AM, Paul wrote:
Do any of you have any of these? They look perfect for a couple small spaces
I have. From googling them I see they are slow growing and can be easily
controlled for heighth and width. My question is, how slow growing are they?
Any place here that has them the heighth I would like, 6-7' from the top of
the container,the limbs are pretty sparsley spaced. Seems they are this way
probably from being there for a while and other trees shoved in around them
blocking the sun, and are probably pretty root bound. They are however very
reasonabily priced. If I got one and planted it, how long would it take to
start bushing out with new limbs. I live in zone 8B I believe, San
Bernardino area of So. Cal. Thanks for any info.

I have three. Two reach the eaves of my two-story house.

The other one has never had a strong leader (central trunk). I removed
the leader and trained a vigorous side branch to be the new leader.
It's now about 10 ft high.

Side branches do grow quickly. I trim mine about 1-3 times a year so
that the side branches don't interfere with adjacent walkways.

I've seen these as narrow trees, almost similar to Italian cypress.
I've also seen these as broad, billowing trees, almost suitable as shade
trees. The growth pattern depends on the variety (there are several),
the location, and the amount of water and nutrients.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 20-08-2010, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Paul O.
"David E. Ross" wrote in message
.. .
On 8/19/10 9:29 AM, Paul wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info David, appreciate it.