Old 14-11-2010, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need perennial that like lots of water

Hi All,

I have an ellipse at the edge of my lawn where I
intend to grow perennial flowers. I love Hollyhocks,
but the one in the front of the ellipse always die on
me from all the water that soaks over from the lawn.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a perennial flower that:

1) likes lots and lots of water,
2) tolerates hot, dry high desert air (Norther Nevada),
3) does not mind lots of sunlight, and
4) will survive the winter (we sometimes get down to 0F)

Many thanks,
-T
Old 14-11-2010, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I have an ellipse at the edge of my lawn where I
intend to grow perennial flowers. I love Hollyhocks,
but the one in the front of the ellipse always die on
me from all the water that soaks over from the lawn.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a perennial flower that:

1) likes lots and lots of water,
2) tolerates hot, dry high desert air (Norther Nevada),
3) does not mind lots of sunlight, and
4) will survive the winter (we sometimes get down to 0F)

Many thanks,
-T

How about lobelia cardinalis?

-Bob
Old 14-11-2010, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/13/2010 09:50 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
lobelia cardinalis

Looked it up on the web and I think you pegged
it. I will love the red flowers too.

How do you think it will survive our freezing winters?

Some of the references said "short lived". I wonder
how a "perennial" is short lived? I wonder what they
are talking about?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 14-11-2010, 01:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:

Hi All,

I have an ellipse at the edge of my lawn where I
intend to grow perennial flowers. I love Hollyhocks,
but the one in the front of the ellipse always die on
me from all the water that soaks over from the lawn.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a perennial flower that:

1) likes lots and lots of water,
2) tolerates hot, dry high desert air (Norther Nevada),
3) does not mind lots of sunlight, and
4) will survive the winter (we sometimes get down to 0F)

Joe-Pye Weed (Eupatorium purpureum)
Ironweed (Vernonia noveboracensis)
Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata)
These all come in white cultivars in addition to the more common
pink/purple shades. The Asclepias has a lovely soft vanilla fragrance.

Aconite Buttercup (Ranunculus aconitifolius)
White flowered. There are other species of buttercups with yellow
flowers that will also tolerate moist/sunny conditions

Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria)
White flowers (buds sometimes blushed pink), sort of sweet smelling
but a short blooming period, however the foliage out to bloom can be
rather attractive (fern-like).

Astilbe is usually considered a shade plant, but will do well in full
sun if the site really is consistantly moist -- I had them growing in
at my old house, in a very slightly raised bed in the low part of my
yard where the water table was high enough that we originally had
crayfish burrows showing up in the lawn.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 14-11-2010, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:

Some of the references said "short lived". I wonder
how a "perennial" is short lived? I wonder what they
are talking about?

Time is relative of course but all perennials have an expected life
time; a peach tree may live 30 years, a beechnut tree has a life
expectancy of some 300 years, a gingko is expected to live 1,000+.
With many perennial flowers what you actually see are new plants, the
original parent plant may have kept reproducing for a few years and
then dies.

Old 15-11-2010, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Pat wrote:

Astilbe is usually considered a shade plant, but will do well in full
sun if the site really is consistantly moist -- I had them growing in
at my old house, in a very slightly raised bed in the low part of my
yard where the water table was high enough that we originally had
crayfish burrows showing up in the lawn.

i'll second this one. we have some growing in
full sun in a low spot they are doing great and look
nice. plus you have some variety of colors to pick
from.

Thank you!

yw. good luck.

songbird
Old 21-11-2010, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Queen of the Praire. Drop dead gorgeous pink blooms, blooms early,
interesting leaves.
Molly
Old 21-11-2010, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Moll wrote:
Queen of the Praire. Drop dead gorgeous pink blooms, blooms early,
interesting leaves.
Molly

Try googling for "Rain Garden" or "Rain Garden plants".
--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Changing my online presence
Old 21-11-2010, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L wrote:
Moll wrote:
Queen of the Praire. Drop dead gorgeous pink blooms, blooms early,
interesting leaves.
Molly

Try googling for "Rain Garden" or "Rain Garden plants".

i would also add to the list yarrows.

songbird

Old 21-11-2010, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Dan L wrote:
Moll wrote:
Queen of the Praire. Drop dead gorgeous pink blooms, blooms early,
interesting leaves.
Molly

Try googling for "Rain Garden" or "Rain Garden plants".

i would also add to the list yarrows.

songbird

Look for bog plants. I'd also consider Iris's .

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden