Old 21-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Guy Bradley

Default Need help identifying perennial

Dear Newsgroup,

I have been unable to identify the perennial whose picture is posted
on the following newsgroup, under the name "unknown perennial".

alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I can give a number of details - hopefully between the picture and the
details someone knows what this plant is.

The original plant grew in West Virginia - my mother had this in her
yard for many years, she claims. Last fall we dug it up and moved to
my home in Missouri. She calls it a vining plant, but so far it hasn't
shown any signs of vining.

The plant is about two feet high. I have it in a shady location, as
she said it was growing in such a location in West Virginia. So far it
seems to like the shade. It bloomed in April or early May - when the
picture was taken. Since then, the flowers have fallen off, but no
sign of fruit.

The leaves are glossy green, about 3" long and 1" wide, opposite,
simple edges, come to a point on both ends. There is a short leaf
stalk.

The flowers are fairly small, perhaps 1/2" across, with five white
petals. They are arranged in a loose umbel, issuing from the leaf
axils, as you can see in the picture. The stamens aren't at all
obvious - in fact, where I would expect stamens is a compact
compartmented button-line structure, pale yellow in color.

The plant has a loose, rambling habit. There is nothing for it to
climb on, perhaps that's why it hasn't shown any vining tendencies.
The branches barely support themselves, which is why it isn't any
taller.

Disregard the narrow leaves in the picture - apparently a lily of some
kind came along for the ride. This unknown lily didn't bloom. My
mother suspects it is a day lily; these don't do well in shade.

Any help will be appreciated. I've looked in my usual reference
sources and even tried some online keys, without any luck.

TIA,

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6

Old 22-07-2003, 03:15 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

So where is the picture?

I see neither your name nor the picture there.

If the file size was too large it may have been rejected by the server.

Old 22-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Frogleg

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:20:54 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Guy Bradley wrote

I have been unable to identify the perennial whose picture is posted
on the following newsgroup, under the name "unknown perennial".

alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

So where is the picture?

I see neither your name nor the picture there.

If the file size was too large it may have been rejected by the server.

It *is* a large file (440k), but it's there.
Old 22-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Alexander Pensky

Frogleg wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:20:54 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Guy Bradley wrote

I have been unable to identify the perennial whose picture is posted
on the following newsgroup, under the name "unknown perennial".

alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

So where is the picture?

I see neither your name nor the picture there.

If the file size was too large it may have been rejected by the server.

It *is* a large file (440k), but it's there.

"There" is a relative term when discussing Usenet groups. The file will
reach different news servers at different times. Many servers don't
carry binary groups or don't carry alt. groups, and those that do carry
binary groups usually have a very short hold time (a few hours) for the
large files. The common suggestion "post the picture to a.b.p.g and
post a link here" is not that effective; when one of us reads the link
and clicks it, it's *extremely* rare that the picture is also on our
news server at the same moment. Better to find a place to web host the
photos and post the URL here. There are lots of places on the web that
offer free space for photo albums.

- Alex

Old 23-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:51:48 -0400, Alexander Pensky
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:20:54 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Guy Bradley wrote

[...]

Not to be argumentative, but I've never heard that servers which carry
rec.gardens *don't* carry the corresponding binary. Or maybe the folk
who can't reference the pictures just don't complain (highly unlikely,
considering how we complain about *everything* :-) I haven't found
it at all "rare" that pictures referenced here were currently
available. Of course, if I've recently "marked read" and purged the
binary group, and really want to see the pic, I have to go back and
reload current headers.

alt.binaries.pictures.gardens is the default place to post pictures.
Own web space or various album sites are fine, too. What's *not* OK is
posting binaries to text newsgroups.

Old 23-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Alexander Pensky

wrote:

[...]

There is nothing "corresponding" between rec.gardens and a.b.p.g. except
the coincidental fact that both contain the string "gardens" in their name.

If you don't understand why that is so, then you probably don't
understand the difference between alt. groups and regular groups, in
terms of how they are created.

Generally there are two types of news servers, public and private.
Public ones are those that anyone can connect to over the Internet,
usually for a monthly fee. They tend to carry all or most alt. and
binaries groups because they want to attract customers. Private servers
are for use on private networks, for example, many of us use news
servers provided by our employers. These almost never carry binary
groups because it eats too much disk space, and rarely carry alt. groups
because of corporate policy (too many dirty pix, not work-related).

If you only use public news servers, I can see how you might get the
impression that everyone in the world can see alt.binaries.* groups.
It's just not so, however.

- Alex

Old 24-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Guy Bradley

"Alexander Pensky" wrote in message

Better to find a place to web host the
photos and post the URL here. There are lots of places on the web

that
offer free space for photo albums.

Please provide a link to at least one of these sites and I'll post my
picture there.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6

Old 24-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Alexander Pensky

Guy Bradley wrote:
"Alexander Pensky" wrote in message

Better to find a place to web host the
photos and post the URL here. There are lots of places on the web

that

offer free space for photo albums.

Please provide a link to at least one of these sites and I'll post my
picture there.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6