Old 30-12-2010, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato Support Idea

EVP MAN wrote:

Since I'm cutting way back on my tomato plants this season, I think
I'll try a different method to support the plants. I use the green
steel fence posts that you buy at any hardware store 5' tall. All the
other years I used a single stake per plant which worked ok but constant
tying here and there is necessary and some branches still break due to
the weight of the fruit. Since I'll have an excess of fence posts this
season, I plan to put 3 stakes around each plant in the shape of a
triangle. I'll run parachute cord from stake to stake at several
different heights. It should work kind of like a tomato cage except
much stronger as each stake will be a foot or more into the ground and
the cross members will be of parachute cord and not wire. Each stake
forming the triangle, I'll place eight or nine inches from the plant.
By doing this, I think that I may be able to get as big a harvest even
though I'm setting out half the amount of plants. When using a single
stake, I would prune the plant in order to have one or two main stems.
I should now be able to allow at least four main stems per plant. I do
realize the size of the fruit may not be as large but the volume of
fruit should surpass the difference. Any opinions on this idea?

Rich from PA zone 5-6

I do something similar. I make a teepee fram from three stakes lashed
together at the top, so each helps support the others, and I don't have
to drive them into the ground as far. Then I use whatever I have to
lash the plants as they grow. Around here the commercial farmers don't
stake their tomatoes at all, but when I let one get too near the ground
the various bugs get into it.
Old 30-12-2010, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato Support Idea (Brooklyn)

Oren wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:

In my heading I had (nanzi) and that was who I was responding to. I use
web tv to post and not a computer. Perhaps things look different in
this discuss group to those who use computers. On my web tv, it all
looks very normal just as it should and it's very clear who I respond
to.

Does Web TV allow you to just click "reply"? You would be replying to
the article/thread you are reading at the time.

I don't know how it works is why I ask....

For example -- can you reply to me without adding (Oren) on the
subject line or does Web TV add that automatically?

I tried webtv when it first appeared, like 20 years ago. You were
able to quote then but needed to know how to manipulate their
keyboard... now I understand that quoting is even easier. The only
reason webtv'ers don't quote is the same that some pc users don't trim
posts, pure laziness.
Old 30-12-2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato Support Idea (notat home)

I think most commercial farmers grow determinate plants. I grow
indeterminate plants which get much bigger. When these load up with
fruit, they can become quite heavy and good support is needed. I have
heard of the tee pee method but never gave it a try. Seems like it
should work quite well also. The reason I want to drive my stakes a
foot or more into the ground is because of high winds we get during
thunder storms in our area. That wind can really do a number on the
garden plants. I always prune my tomato plants so none of the leaves
ever touch the ground.

Rich

Old 30-12-2010, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

For Determent tomatoes I use heavy steel ladders and/or steel post with
garden twine. Determinate's use a single stalk that grows straight up. For
indeterminate I use those lighter circular tomato supports because they are
bushier.

I usually just have three indeterminate plants for eating. The five dozen
determinate plants are for canning.

Old 30-12-2010, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:44:04 -0500, Notat Home wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:

[...]

Commercial growers spread about 6" of straw for their tomato plants to
vine on, keeps the fruits off the ground so they stay dry and prevents
back splash onto leaves during rains, less chance of mold. I've tried
that method but there's more bending required and the plants use a lot
more space than staking. I found quality cages work best.

Old 30-12-2010, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 21:06:24 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:36:31 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

Web tv must not ad a portion of the thread I respond to. It doesn't do
it automatically or give me that option. The only choice I have is to
read a thread and then hit respond and let web tv do it's thing......LOL
That's why I type the persons nick in the subject line at times to let
them know I'm responding to their post. I'd rather grow and eat matters
also .............. Rich

There should be the ability for you to select the portion of text you
wish to reply that would be included in your reply.

It can be mouse (right click, select text and then hit reply) or
keyboard selection of the text you want to comment about. I don't
know for Web TV .

I think we now have you on the same single "Subject line", for now.

That is important.

I growed [sic] me some big matters one year. Cherries nearly as big
as a half-dollar. I had vines 14' long -at least. And plenty of stake
matters. I gave many to three neighbors and still had plenty for
canning tomato sauce.

Really can't make sauce from cherry/salad tomatoes, they contain way
too much water... I tried, they need to be cooked so long to reduce
that it no longer tastes anything like tomato.... I remember simmering
that 27 quart pot for more than 30 hours.... a total waste of time,
effort, energy, and tomatoes.
Old 30-12-2010, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

True, I use Roma's for sauce. Blanch, remove skin and seeds and just use
the pulp. Outside of eating the little ones straight up or in salads, I
sometimes toss them in my chili.

Old 30-12-2010, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Why did you put an apostrophe in "Roma's"?
Old 30-12-2010, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote

In my heading I had (nanzi) and that was who I was responding to. I use
web tv to post and not a computer. Perhaps things look different in
this discuss group to those who use computers. On my web tv, it all
looks very normal just as it should and it's very clear who I respond
to. I usually don't respond at all to rude people but just wanted to
clear this up for others who may use the group!

No problem on my end! This isn't such a huge traffic group that we can't
figure it out. I'd rather have you here even if your posting isnt the same
as the big groups use (which is very hard to do with Web TV I gather).

Old 30-12-2010, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:16:57 -0500, EVP MAN wrote:

[...]

I think your method sounds fine, but just to toss out another method
someone might find interesting, a local greenhouse uses twine hung from
overhead pipes to support their tomato vines, and I swiped the idea for
my outdoor garden. Since I already had an 8 foot high fence to keep the
deer out, I put a few pipes (1" schedule 10 fence pipe or EMT) across the
top. When the tomatoes are big enough to need support, I hang 16 foot
pieces of twine from the overhead pipes (toss mid-twine loop over the
pipe and pull the length through the loop, no knots) then twist the twine
around the vines at about one rotation per 6 inches. Near the bottom
come back up with the twine enough to pass under the previous loop to
prevent unwinding without strangling the vine. As the vines grow twist
them around the twine; no tying required. I have tried between one and 4
vines per plant with this method but usually use 2 vines per plant, one
16 foot piece of twine hung between plants supporting one vine from each
of the adjacent plants on the two ends. Once set up it is very quick and
easy, but does require something to hold the overhead pipes up so it is a
lot of trouble unless you already have a deer fence around your garden.
I find it easier than stakes or cages, but not enough to justify
installing posts to hold up the pipes if they aren't already there.

Glen from PA zone 5
Old 30-12-2010, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

it is the auto spell checker, for quick messages I often do not reread.
More often than not the auto spell checker works great. I am also getting
use to my new glasses with these so called progressive lenses. It sucks
getting old. As I rock in my chair and type this message, blurry.. Clear..
Blurry... Clear... Keep head still !!!

Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Registered User

Yes, I can see where the work will provide a good plant
All in a straight row. But for me, I need a support method
Each plant.
Pond Liners