Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ping Billy

Billy you might get a giggle out of the allusion I made in another ng
yesterday to the benefits of travel. Have a look at the post I made in
uk.rec.gardening in the thread 'Allotment rents rise 300%'. :-)))

Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Billy you might get a giggle out of the allusion I made in another ng
yesterday to the benefits of travel. Have a look at the post I made in
uk.rec.gardening in the thread 'Allotment rents rise 300%'. :-)))

I think we need the equivalent of a "Godwin's Law" for discussing
Australia. Don't let the Nong get you Knackered. Ain't nothin' a tinnie
can't fix :O)

G'day
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."

Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Billy you might get a giggle out of the allusion I made in another ng
yesterday to the benefits of travel. Have a look at the post I made in
uk.rec.gardening in the thread 'Allotment rents rise 300%'. :-)))

I think we need the equivalent of a "Godwin's Law" for discussing
Australia. Don't let the Nong get you Knackered. Ain't nothin' a tinnie
can't fix :O)

:-)) I do see what you mean but those nongs only cause boredom at best.

I'm curious about why so few American's seem to know about their own
country's convict history. Most will deny it, and even amongst those few
who have heard tell of it, it'd be rarer still to find anyone who can
mention a colony where convicts were sent.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Billy you might get a giggle out of the allusion I made in another ng
yesterday to the benefits of travel. Have a look at the post I made in
uk.rec.gardening in the thread 'Allotment rents rise 300%'. :-)))

I think we need the equivalent of a "Godwin's Law" for discussing
Australia. Don't let the Nong get you Knackered. Ain't nothin' a tinnie
can't fix :O)

:-)) I do see what you mean but those nongs only cause boredom at best.

I'm curious about why so few American's seem to know about their own
country's convict history. Most will deny it, and even amongst those few
who have heard tell of it, it'd be rarer still to find anyone who can
mention a colony where convicts were sent.

Georgia, I got Georgia on my mind, but I've been wrong before so I
waited to confirm it, before cranking-up that alligator mouth of mine. I
can't think of the last time I've heard anybody say anything about our
British penal colonies. It sounds like our revolution sent the Brits off
to Australia in search of a home for their seditious types. Interesting,
I wasn't aware of the connection between the establishment of our two
countries.

Stay cool,

Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

"Seditious" including being sentenced to transportation for stealing a
loaf of bread.
Prisoners were kept in stinking death ships off the coast of England
until they could be sent to Australia.

Interesting,
I wasn't aware of the connection between the establishment of our two
countries.

Must reading on history of Australia:

"The Fatal Shore" by Robert Huges.

HB

Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like "Les Miserables" all over again, except Jean Valjean was
never deported to a prison colony.

It is available used, in hardback from those cochons over at Amazon for
as little as a penny, plus $3.99 for S&H.

Viva Bradley Manning, or whoever was responsible for the information
passed on by Wikileaks.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

You win several Kewpie dolls for those comments :-)))

Old 04-02-2011, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

"The Fatal Sho The Epic of Australia's Founding" by Robert Hughes
http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Shore-Ep.../dp/0394753666
/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296837494&sr=1-1
(available at the "sty" above, or
at better libraries near you)
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug
Old 05-02-2011, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 4, 8:44*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Shore-Epic-Australias-Founding/dp/0394753...
(available at the "sty" above, or at better libraries near you)

I try not to buy from Amazon since they (inter alia) cut off Julian
Assange's account.
Patronize local independent bookstores instead. Note that authors get
smaller royalties when books are bought through Amazon.

HB

HB
[...]

[IMG] code is On

OT Ping Billy Bill who putters Gardening 1 20-08-2010 01:43 AM
Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry) George[_14_] Gardening 31 25-03-2010 05:02 AM
Ping Billy FarmI Edible Gardening 3 24-08-2008 05:34 AM
Ping Billy The Water cure 1902 Bill[_13_] Gardening 16 24-02-2008 06:54 PM
Ping Charlie and Billy William Wagner[_2_] Gardening 10 27-10-2007 06:28 AM