Old 01-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered User

Question Cherry tree broke?

Hi newbie here! I was just wondering if any like minded gardeners could help me?
I have a cherry tree which got blown down with the wind and snapped off however i managed to rescue a branch, it has been in some water for almost 2 weeks now to see if i could get it to grow some new roots but i can't see any as of yet but it is still managing to grow new leaves.
Do any of you know what i could next please.
I am more than greatful for any advice that you can give!

Regards

BG
Old 02-05-2011, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cherry tree broke?

On Sun, 1 May 2011 15:48:53 +0000, blonde gardener
wrote:

Hi newbie here! I was just wondering if any like minded gardeners could
help me?
I have a cherry tree which got blown down with the wind and snapped off
however i managed to rescue a branch, it has been in some water for
almost 2 weeks now to see if i could get it to grow some new roots but i
can't see any as of yet but it is still managing to grow new leaves.
Do any of you know what i could next please.
I am more than greatful for any advice that you can give!

A severed branch won't root, but if there are still branches attached
to the tree they can be layered; bent to the ground and covered with
some earth and a rock to hold it in place... within a couple of months
that branch will root and can be cut from the parent tree and will
become a whole new tree. There are various methods of layering but
I've had the most success with the method I've described.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
-

[...]

Thanks for the advice looks like i may have to give up trying to rescue
it because when the wind blew it down it snapped from the bottom of the
tree. Thanks anyway. I will have consider maybe getting some plants
that are wind resistant!!

As is typical with stone fruit it's very likely a cherry tree will
sprout from its trunk... if above the graft you'll soon have your tree
back. Clean the trunk wound of splintered wood and apply a tree
dressing to keep moisture out, then sit back and wait.