Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered User

Question small plant pot questions

Hi, just wondering if anyone has an idea of a plant that will be happy outside in a very small pot?

A friend of mine has bought me some very small novelty pots in the shapes of wellington boots and bumble bees bees etc and I would really like to have some pretty plants but I'm worried that the plant will not do well in such a small pot and wondered if there were any plants that specifically do well in small pots?

There are three of them and they do all have drainage holes which is good and measure approximatley 13 cm in height and 10cm width.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default small plant pot questions

WonderlandGirl wrote:

Hi, just wondering if anyone has an idea of a plant that will be happy
outside in a very small pot?

A friend of mine has bought me some very small novelty pots in the
shapes of wellington boots and bumble bees bees etc and I would really
like to have some pretty plants but I'm worried that the plant will not
do well in such a small pot and wondered if there were any plants that
specifically do well in small pots?

There are three of them and they do all have drainage holes which is
good and measure approximatley 13 cm in height and 10cm width.

where?

hens and chicks do well in many
climates and with very little soil.

other succulents also do fine, but
some varieties may need to be brought
in for the winter.

good luck,

songbird
Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

WonderlandGirl wrote:
Hi, just wondering if anyone has an idea of a plant that will be happy
outside in a very small pot?

A friend of mine has bought me some very small novelty pots in the
shapes of wellington boots and bumble bees bees etc and I would really
like to have some pretty plants but I'm worried that the plant will
not do well in such a small pot and wondered if there were any plants
that specifically do well in small pots?

There are three of them and they do all have drainage holes which is
good and measure approximatley 13 cm in height and 10cm width.

This size is a real PITA as many plants will quickly outgrow them and even
if the plant will fit or doesn't mind being rootbound they dry out very
quickly, in hot weather you may have to water daily or even twice daily and
forgetting for a few days can cost you the plant. Why not put them on the
mantel with dried flowers in them?

David

Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/3/11 10:26 AM, songbird wrote:
WonderlandGirl wrote:

Hi, just wondering if anyone has an idea of a plant that will be happy
outside in a very small pot?

A friend of mine has bought me some very small novelty pots in the
shapes of wellington boots and bumble bees bees etc and I would really
like to have some pretty plants but I'm worried that the plant will not
do well in such a small pot and wondered if there were any plants that
specifically do well in small pots?

There are three of them and they do all have drainage holes which is
good and measure approximatley 13 cm in height and 10cm width.

where?

hens and chicks do well in many
climates and with very little soil.

other succulents also do fine, but
some varieties may need to be brought
in for the winter.

good luck,

songbird

Besides succulents, you might try lavender. I have 'Goodwin Creek Grey'
lavender (a cross between French and wooly lavender) growing in plastic
pots about your size. They bloom year round.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 3, 7:23*am, WonderlandGirl alanna_markham@hotmail. commmm
wrote:
Hi, just wondering if anyone has an idea of a plant that will be happy
outside in a very small pot?

A friend of mine has bought me some very small novelty pots in the
shapes of wellington boots and bumble bees bees etc and I would really
like to have some pretty plants but I'm worried that the plant will not
do well in such a small pot and wondered if there were any plants that
specifically do well in small pots?

There are three of them and they do all have drainage holes which is
good and measure approximatley 13 cm in height and 10cm width.

--
WonderlandGirl

If you like herbs, you might try basil. I grow basil in pots all
summer. Those might be a little small but if you really care for them
(harvesting leaves and maybe dividing them) they might do ok.

But where are you?

Chris

Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Hens and Chicks, Aloe Vera, Sprouts or the infamous Venus Fly Trap

Old 06-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Virginia

Hens and Chicks, Aloe Vera, Sprouts or the infamous Venus Fly Trap

--
Enjoy Life... Nad R (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)[/quote]

Aloe Vera does well staying in a small pot? I did not know that. It seems like all the ones I've seen are in more med. sized pots. That's cool!
Rocks, roots, constant shade and one
Ignorant Gardener