Old 06-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Registered User

Default help from anyone else with a scotts drop spreader

I've recently bought a Scott's EverGreen drop spreader to fertilise my lawn. There are 2 sets of numbers on the dial. I've looked through the instructions but they don't seem to tell me what the numbers represent - ounces per yard/metre etc. Can anyone enlighten me please before I scorch my lawn?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

adampeacocke wrote:

I've recently bought a Scott's EverGreen drop spreader to fertilise my
lawn. There are 2 sets of numbers on the dial. I've looked through the
instructions but they don't seem to tell me what the numbers represent -
ounces per yard/metre etc. Can anyone enlighten me please before I
scorch my lawn?

Those numbers are not for specific quantities, they represent relative
rates, from less to more/low to high. I strongly recommend to ALWAYS
use a setting of about half that specified on the product (any
product). Actually drop spreaders suck, especially for newbies. You'd
be far better off with a broadcast spreader. Even the pros use
broadcast spreaders only. If you can exchange it I urge that you do.
For smaller areas hand-held broadcast spreaders work very well.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

This is how to calibrate your spreader from Virginai Cooperative
extension service.

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-017/430-017.html
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

beercrofter wrote:

This is how to calibrate your spreader from Vaginal Cooperative
extension service.
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-017/430-017.html

Good for a laugh! Admits that a spreader cannot actually be
calibrated, only in theory. And they are incorrect about a broadcast
spreader pattern, it is not circular, it throws 1/4 circle to one
side, very easy not to fertilize paved areas, simply walk in the
correct direction... of course the morons who mow so the discharge
chute is aimed at the paved areas won't do any better with broadcast
spreaders.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered User

Thanks for all your advice