Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered User

Default Bay Willow Catkins in Garden?

I have a Bay Willow tree that is dropping catkins all throughout my garden by the thousands. Should I be picking them out of the dirt or do they make good mulch?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2011, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default moldy grass clippings..

coykiesaol wrote:
Hi all!
I was saving some grass clippings for mulch and discovered this
morning that they were very wet and moldy. (yes, lesson learned) I am
assuming that it is NOT a good idea to use moldy grass clippings for
mulch, right?

Why? If you put it on dry as soon as it gets wet it will go mouldy.

Also, do I put a nice thick layer of grass clipping mulch around my
red onion plants? wasn't sure about this.

Thanks!!

I mulch everything in sight

Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
echinosum wrote:

coykiesaol;925955 Wrote:
Hi all!
I was saving some grass clippings for mulch and discovered this morning
that they were very wet and moldy. (yes, lesson learned) I am assuming
that it is NOT a good idea to use moldy grass clippings for mulch,
right?

Also, do I put a nice thick layer of grass clipping mulch around my red
onion plants? wasn't sure about this.

No, don't use rotting fresh grass clippings as mulch, they won't be very
good for your plants.

Make that 1 part green to 25 parts brown.

If you want to use grass clippings as mulch, you need to dry the grass
thoroughly first so that it doesn't form a rotting mess, which will
happen within a few hours if you pile them in a heap. The best
procedure is to cut the lawn without a grass collector on the mower, so
they lie on the lawn spread out to dry. Then you can rake them up and
they shouldn't form a rotting mess. Unfortunately, this is a lot more
work than gathering them in a hopper as you mow and chucking them away.
Also it isn't a good idea if your grass is very long, as it will be
thick enough to make a rotting mess on your lawn.

--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 09-06-2011, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

coykiesaol said

Hi all!
I was saving some grass clippings for mulch and discovered this morning
that they were very wet and moldy. (yes, lesson learned) I am assuming
that it is NOT a good idea to use moldy grass clippings for mulch,
right?

Start a compost pile. Google around for the ratio of greens/browns as
poster had already alluded to. I compost all my leaves, kitchen scraps
(veggies), garden trimmings etc. It's simply amazing how little work it
is, how much the mass is reduced, and what comes out... simply sweet.
Turn in into the soil next spring and you'll have loam people die for.

Your prob is going to be browns.... maybe add the shreadings from your
paper shredder?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 8, 3:34*am, coykiesaol
wrote:
Hi all!
I was saving some grass clippings for mulch and discovered this morning
that they were very wet and moldy. (yes, lesson learned) I am assuming
that it is NOT a good idea to use moldy grass clippings for mulch,
right?

Also, do I put a nice thick layer of grass clipping mulch around my red
onion plants? wasn't sure about this.

Thanks!!

--
coykiesao

Spread thinly between plants as soon as you finish mowing; the
clippings will dry quickly and won't get moldy this way. If you put a
thick layer down it will mat down so much that water can't get
through. You can add a thin layer each week when you mow.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

rikv wrote:

90% of the clippings consist of water.

I don't think that's true... by weight freshly mowed grass clippings
consist of more like 98% water, but depending on conditions that water
can evaporate rather quickly. If one plans to use grass clippings as
mulch it's best to mow on a hot dry day after the morning dew has
disapated and then leave the clipping to dry where they fall and raked
up the next day. When clippings are bagged as they're mowed they will
mold rather quickly. Personally I don't think grass clipping make for
a very good mulch, they won't prevent weeds (in fact will encourage
weeds), they are very poor at keeping soil moist, they encourage
insects, and they become moldy much too easily. Grass clippings are
best left on the lawn where they will become fertilzer (use a mulching
blade).
Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Registered User

If one affairs to use grass clippings as mulch it's best to mow on a hot dry day afterwards the morning dew has disapated and again leave the abridgement to dry area they abatement and raked up the next day. When clippings are bagged as they're mowed they will mold rather quickly.
__________________
Hydroponics Kits
Old 01-07-2011, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:56:48 +0000, markenejackson markenejackson
wrote:

If one affairs to use grass clippings as mulch it's best to mow on a hot
dry day afterwards the morning dew has disapated and again leave the
abridgement to dry area they abatement and raked up the next day. When
clippings are bagged as they're mowed they will mold rather quickly.

Mow with a mulching blade and there'll be no raking. Grass clippings
make terrible mulch anyway, grass clippings are too fine and decompose
too rapidly to make a weed blocking mulch. Grass clippings actually
encourage weed growth, and the thicker it's piled the better the more
noxious weeds will grow... grass clipping are like potting soil for
weeds... that's the main reason why I brush hog my wildflower meadow
each fall.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
markenejackson markenejackson wrote:

If one affairs to use grass clippings as mulch it's best to mow on a hot
dry day afterwards the morning dew has disapated and again leave the
abridgement to dry area they abatement and raked up the next day. When
clippings are bagged as they're mowed they will mold rather quickly.

Please, if English is a newly acquired language for you, disregard the
following comments, if not, learn English. Even pigeon-English is
preferable to the mismatched buggerage that you've put on display.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:40:26 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
markenejackson markenejackson wrote:

If one affairs to use grass clippings as mulch it's best to mow on a hot
dry day afterwards the morning dew has disapated and again leave the
abridgement to dry area they abatement and raked up the next day. When
clippings are bagged as they're mowed they will mold rather quickly.

Please, if English is a newly acquired language for you, disregard the
following comments, if not, learn English. Even pigeon-English is
preferable to the mismatched buggerage that you've put on display.

Actually that's better English than most found on usenet, albiet
poetically flowery and verbose... unfortunately for you your
guttersnipe's upbringing and the fourth grade education you attained
prevents you from knowing and appreciating.