Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ants In Hummingbird Feeder

Does anyone have any slick ideas for keeping ants from invading
hummingbird feeders?

Rich from PA

Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:

Does anyone have any slick ideas for keeping ants from invading
hummingbird feeders?

LeeValley.com sells hummingbird feeder ant moats:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,51555,53826

But hummingbird feeders still attract ants on the ground so I don't
bother... I hose the feeders off outdoors before bringing them in to
clean.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/8/2011 10:29 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

Does anyone have any slick ideas for keeping ants from invading
hummingbird feeders?

Rich from PA

I hang mine from an overhead hook using a very fine monofilament fishing
line. The ants do not seem to have figured it out after two years.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John McGaw wrote:

On 6/8/2011 10:29 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

Does anyone have any slick ideas for keeping ants from invading
hummingbird feeders?

Rich from PA

I hang mine from an overhead hook using a very fine monofilament fishing
line. The ants do not seem to have figured it out after two years.

Elegant solution - I'm going to try it. I might add that it would be
best to keep the line short so the birds don't snare themselves, or
crimp a spltshot or two on a longer line to keep it visible.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have mine hanging from a double shepherds hook. My neighbor told me
that she smears some petroleum jelly on the pole and that seems to work
well for her. I just got two new feeders today called hummingnizer
feeders. They have a built in bug moat in the center. Twenty minutes
after hanging them, I looked over and low and behold there was a hummer
sitting on the built in perch feeding. Never thought they would attract
the birds that fast!

Rich

Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 14:04:09 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

On 6/8/2011 10:29 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

Does anyone have any slick ideas for keeping ants from invading
hummingbird feeders?

Rich from PA

I hang mine from an overhead hook using a very fine monofilament fishing
line. The ants do not seem to have figured it out after two years.

Mine hangs under the eave, about 6 inches down,
on a piece of aluminum rod that is bent in a S shape.
The plastic coated wire that came with the feeder is
tied in a loop - to hang over the S hook.
I have no idea why - but the ants haven't discovered it yet.
The orioles are loving the hummer feeder this year -
- more than ever.
It's situated right outside the kitchen window and
the clothes line runs right by - a couple feet away -
the hummers like to sit & rest on the clothesline
and guard the feeder from there.
John T.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
Does anyone have any slick ideas for keeping ants from invading
hummingbird feeders?

I drilled a small hole through the center of the end of a 1" copper piping end
cap, and soldered the center of an 8" piece of copper wire through it. Then bent
both ends of the wire into hooks. Hang it, hang the feeder from it, and fill the
cap with water.

Old 25-06-2011, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

I hang my feeders from the top of my deck on a 1/16th OD wire, welding wire
is good also. I need something that wont break when storms are thrashing.
I tried coating this wire but the ants walked right over it, then I placed
vaseline on it. They try, however get caught in it and die, when they die
they aren't able to transmit their routes to their family. Underneath on the
deck I place a solution of borax...20% borax to 80% sugar, mix with water to
make a paste. This eliminated the ant problem. for me...