Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Month 10? of killing Bermuda Grass

Last year started with glyphosate, it all looked dead but slowly started
to grow again. Spot sprayed it many times. Sprayed entire area 5
times, still new stuff coming up very, very slowly. Did some reading on
the subject. Now fertilized it with only nitrogen and watered. It's
coming up fast now, almost time for more roundup. Hopes are for the
nitrogen to make lots of new growth only up top so the roundup can then
kill the weakening roots, tubers, and whatever else makes this stuff
grow like the national debt.

Still fighting,
Tony
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tony Miklos wrote:

Last year started with glyphosate, it all looked dead but slowly started
to grow again. Spot sprayed it many times. Sprayed entire area 5
times, still new stuff coming up very, very slowly. Did some reading on
the subject. Now fertilized it with only nitrogen and watered. It's
coming up fast now, almost time for more roundup. Hopes are for the
nitrogen to make lots of new growth only up top so the roundup can then
kill the weakening roots, tubers, and whatever else makes this stuff
grow like the national debt.

Still fighting,

are you using any wetting agents
so that it sticks on the plants?

songbird
Old 10-07-2011, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/9/2011 3:41 PM, songbird wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:

Last year started with glyphosate, it all looked dead but slowly started
to grow again. Spot sprayed it many times. Sprayed entire area 5
times, still new stuff coming up very, very slowly. Did some reading on
the subject. Now fertilized it with only nitrogen and watered. It's
coming up fast now, almost time for more roundup. Hopes are for the
nitrogen to make lots of new growth only up top so the roundup can then
kill the weakening roots, tubers, and whatever else makes this stuff
grow like the national debt.

Still fighting,

are you using any wetting agents
so that it sticks on the plants?

songbird

Yes, I forgot to mention adding ~1 tsp dish soap/1 gallon of glyphosate
mix. It works well. Doesn't bead up and roll off like the first
application.

I really like the latest method, I think it may work. I think it's
going to suck the life out of the roots. If I had to do it again I'd
also start in the spring instead of the fall.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tony Miklos wrote:
On 7/9/2011 3:41 PM, songbird wrote:

are you using any wetting agents
so that it sticks on the plants?

Yes, I forgot to mention adding ~1 tsp dish soap/1 gallon of glyphosate
mix. It works well. Doesn't bead up and roll off like the first
application.

I really like the latest method, I think it may work. I think it's
going to suck the life out of the roots. If I had to do it again I'd
also start in the spring instead of the fall.

the fall would be ok for some species as
the plants that are perennials will be taking
more from up top and sending it down to the
roots. since that is how glyphosate acts it
probably doesn't hurt. the trouble is if it
gets too cold too soon for active growing.

i'm not sure how much bermuda grass sets
seed (i don't have any direct experience
with it here)? we have had some invasive
grasses try to come in, but those i was
able to take out after a few years of
digging. not much likes being uprooted and
left in the sun to bake.

takes consistent effort but eventually
the will prevails.

songbird
Old 15-07-2011, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/10/2011 12:27 PM, songbird wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

Gawd I hope so. I have a ~ 1300sq' area in front of my house that has
been mostly brown since early last fall. Right now the nitrogen and the
rain has the nasty stuff growing again in small patches. In a few days
it will get the glyphosate again. Then keep watering unless it rains.
Sooner or later it should suck the life out of the roots. The stuff is
so strong that after heavy traffic walking on the dead stuff all this
time it's still not down to dirt or mud. It would be great stuff if it
didn't get into everything it's not supposed to.

Tony

Old 15-07-2011, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Tony Miklos wrote:
Gawd I hope so. I have a ~ 1300sq' area in front of my house that has
been mostly brown since early last fall. Right now the nitrogen and the
rain has the nasty stuff growing again in small patches. In a few days
it will get the glyphosate again. Then keep watering unless it rains.
Sooner or later it should suck the life out of the roots. The stuff is
so strong that after heavy traffic walking on the dead stuff all this
time it's still not down to dirt or mud. It would be great stuff if it
didn't get into everything it's not supposed to.

what are you doing in its place?

songbird
Old 20-07-2011, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/14/2011 10:47 PM, songbird wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:
Gawd I hope so. I have a ~ 1300sq' area in front of my house that has
been mostly brown since early last fall. Right now the nitrogen and the
rain has the nasty stuff growing again in small patches. In a few days
it will get the glyphosate again. Then keep watering unless it rains.
Sooner or later it should suck the life out of the roots. The stuff is
so strong that after heavy traffic walking on the dead stuff all this
time it's still not down to dirt or mud. It would be great stuff if it
didn't get into everything it's not supposed to.

what are you doing in its place?

songbird

Grass, yes it's plain and boring but I have enough other "stuff". I'd
do clover but grandchildren (and me) , bare feet, and bee's don't mix.
(I suppose I could pour concrete! ;-) ).

First lots of rain kept me from spraying it then I had to go away for a
few days. Finally got to it today, I'll know in a week how well I'm
doing. Spot spraying another couple weeks... or months. It will be at
least 8 weeks before I plant anything, I want to be sure it's gone!

Tony