Old 20-08-2011, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default White stuff on lawn

"echinosum" wrote in message

'Steve B[_6_ Wrote:
;933128']"I called the nursery today, and this is a form of fungi. To
be killed with
moldicide or common laundry soap. We do watch Lacy closely, and she is

getting better about eating anything. And we keep things out of her
reach.
She is such a loving little dog. The other one, too. Those you get at

rescue centers seem so thankful. The other one will find any new
scratch or
booboo you get, and lick it. I think she might be one of those cancer
finding dogs, as she finds my booboos many times before I notice them
myself.

If it is a fungus growing on the leaves of the grass, that might be
true, but I think it is unlikely to be the case. If it is a fungus
growing in the ground, and producing fruiting bodies, in the manner of
mushrooms, then spraying it won't stop it. There is no practical way of
ridding your lawn of fungus like that. Your nursery made a sale and
made you feel happy you were doing something about it, but it won't
actually work.

--
echinosum

Uh, the nursery didn't sell me anything, and the sprinkling of laundry soap
killed the first one I tried it on.

What can it all mean?

Steve

Old 21-08-2011, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Steve B" wrote in message
. ..

"echinosum" wrote in message

'Steve B[_6_ Wrote:
;933128']"I called the nursery today, and this is a form of fungi. To
be killed with
moldicide or common laundry soap.

If it is a fungus growing on the leaves of the grass, that might be
true, but I think it is unlikely to be the case. If it is a fungus
growing in the ground, and producing fruiting bodies, in the manner of
mushrooms, then spraying it won't stop it. There is no practical way of
ridding your lawn of fungus like that. Your nursery made a sale and
made you feel happy you were doing something about it, but it won't
actually work.

echinosum

Uh, the nursery didn't sell me anything, and the sprinkling of laundry soap
killed the first one I tried it on.

What can it all mean?

Steve
======

You know, you might take a picture of it (and c/c alt.nature.mushrooms,
too). I don't know but to me it sounds more like a slime mold.

Old 22-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B[_6_] View Post
the sprinkling of laundry soap
killed the first one I tried it on.
Do you think you can kill an apple tree by "killing" the fruit on it? So, you damaged whatever was above ground. If it is a fungus, all you have done is damage the fruiting body, and have done nothing to the living part of the organism which is below ground.

Anyway, does it look like this, the so called dog's vomit slime mold? Fuligo septica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That will just go away in dry weather conditions.

[IMG] code is On

White stuff in my compost.. Mitulove United Kingdom 2 30-04-2009 01:44 AM
Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 04:07 PM
white stuff Maryann Albano Orchids 2 22-09-2003 11:52 PM
AHHHH!!! What is that white stuff on my Zucchini & Cuke Leaves??? Lattés Edible Gardening 3 29-07-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] White stuff David J. Bockman Bonsai 10 19-02-2003 03:03 PM