Old 14-08-2011, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default White stuff on lawn

Every morning, we find white mounds of stuff on our new lawn the size of
dinner plates. It looks like wet bread pieces. It dissolves and goes away
with a spray, but they are now there every day. Anyone know of what these
are? I got some Mold King, of such, at HD for $1 a gallon, and might try
some on a spot.

Thanks

Old 14-08-2011, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 14, 8:03*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Every morning, we find white mounds of stuff on our new lawn the size of
dinner plates. *It looks like wet bread pieces. *It dissolves and goes away
with a spray, but they are now there every day. *Anyone know of what these
are? *I got some Mold King, of such, at HD for $1 a gallon, and might try
some on a spot.

Thanks

Take a sample in to your neighborhood nursery. They may have seen it
before. Better to find out what it is rather than spray {whatever} on
your lawn blindly.

HB
Old 15-08-2011, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 13:38:08 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Aug 14, 8:03*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Every morning, we find white mounds of stuff on our new lawn the size of
dinner plates. *It looks like wet bread pieces. *It dissolves and goes away
with a spray, but they are now there every day. *Anyone know of what these
are? *I got some Mold King, of such, at HD for $1 a gallon, and might try
some on a spot.

Thanks

Take a sample in to your neighborhood nursery. They may have seen it
before. Better to find out what it is rather than spray {whatever} on
your lawn blindly.

Exactly... could be some form of smut (fungi) that appears once every
100 years, does its thing and then goes to sleep for another
century... just saying. Check it out. It's probably harmless and
nothing you could do about it anyway.
Old 15-08-2011, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In

Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 14, 8:03*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Every morning, we find white mounds of stuff on our new lawn the size
of dinner plates. *It looks like wet bread pieces. *It dissolves and
goes away with a spray, but they are now there every day. *Anyone
know of what these are? *I got some Mold King, of such, at HD for $1
a gallon, and might try some on a spot.

Take a sample in to your neighborhood nursery. They may have seen it
before.

If you do, be careful how you handle it and package it; I doubt that
your local nursery would be happy to have you bring in something that
kills their stock.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old 15-08-2011, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 15 Aug 2011 01:12:04 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

In

Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 14, 8:03*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Every morning, we find white mounds of stuff on our new lawn the size
of dinner plates. *It looks like wet bread pieces. *It dissolves and
goes away with a spray, but they are now there every day. *Anyone
know of what these are? *I got some Mold King, of such, at HD for $1
a gallon, and might try some on a spot.

Take a sample in to your neighborhood nursery. They may have seen it
before.

If you do, be careful how you handle it and package it; I doubt that
your local nursery would be happy to have you bring in something that
kills their stock.

I'd not bring it anywhere. Take some high resolution photos, then do
some research and comparisons, and if stumped bring the photos to
someone claiming expertize. I've had luck emailing photos to botanic
gardens, conservatories, and colleges. There are plenty of web sites
one can tap for assistance in identification, I've used this a few
times because I occasionally find odd looking mushrooms on my
property:
http://academic.evergreen.edu/projec.../phm/index.htm

Old 15-08-2011, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
. ..
In

Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 14, 8:03 am, "Steve B" wrote:
Every morning, we find white mounds of stuff on our new lawn the size
of dinner plates. It looks like wet bread pieces. It dissolves and
goes away with a spray, but they are now there every day. Anyone
know of what these are? I got some Mold King, of such, at HD for $1
a gallon, and might try some on a spot.

Take a sample in to your neighborhood nursery. They may have seen it
before.

If you do, be careful how you handle it and package it; I doubt that
your local nursery would be happy to have you bring in something that
kills their stock.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

I solved the mystery today, and it is quite interesting.

We got a part shihtzu dog from the rescue center about a year ago. This dog
is just off the chart when food is brought out. She shakes. Vet says it is
because of her hungry puppyhood, and it will be permanent, but she'll get
better with knowing she will be fed.

Today, I found a pile, and blew it apart with a garden hose. It was the
mushrooms that have been coming up in our newly sodded yard. Thankfully
they are obviously non poisonous, but she's been grazing and gorging and
then upchucking.

Poor little gal. We're working with her. She's a soft little doll
otherwise.

Steve

Old 15-08-2011, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:31:32 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
In

Higgs Boson wrote:

On Aug 14, 8:03 am, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

About five years ago I found similar patches in my lawn a few feet
from my rear deck, a few patches covering about a square yard... tiny
mushrooms... they popped up sometime during the night and disappeared
shortly after sunrise. They did no damage to the grass and after a
few days they stopped appearing and haven't returned since. I have no
dog but could have been a deposit from any critter, and from who knows
when.
http://i54.tinypic.com/2repjlw.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/288y253.jpg
Old 15-08-2011, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve B wrote:
Every morning, we find white mounds of stuff on our new lawn the size of
dinner plates. It looks like wet bread pieces. It dissolves and goes away
with a spray, but they are now there every day. Anyone know of what these
are? I got some Mold King, of such, at HD for $1 a gallon, and might try
some on a spot.

Thanks

Sounds like manna. HTH :-)

-Bob
Old 15-08-2011, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Steve B" wrote

I solved the mystery today, and it is quite interesting.

chapter two: This morning, I found two more on the front lawn, an area that
the dogs cannot access from the back yard. I called the nursery, and they
said to treat it with a moldicide, or sprinkle common laundry soap on it.

Darn, this having a lawn thing is complicated............ ;-)

Steve

Old 15-08-2011, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

We got a part shihtzu dog from the rescue center about a year ago. This dog
is just off the chart when food is brought out. She shakes. Vet says it is
because of her hungry puppyhood, and it will be permanent, but she'll get
better with knowing she will be fed.

Today, I found a pile, and blew it apart with a garden hose. It was the
mushrooms that have been coming up in our newly sodded yard. Thankfully
they are obviously non poisonous, but she's been grazing and gorging and
then upchucking.

Poor little gal. We're working with her. She's a soft little doll
otherwise.

Steve

Sounds like she needs supervision when out in the yard. Poor little
girl.

Priscilla

Old 16-08-2011, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

We got a part shihtzu dog from the rescue center about a year ago. This
dog
is just off the chart when food is brought out. She shakes. Vet says it
is
because of her hungry puppyhood, and it will be permanent, but she'll get
better with knowing she will be fed.

Today, I found a pile, and blew it apart with a garden hose. It was the
mushrooms that have been coming up in our newly sodded yard. Thankfully
they are obviously non poisonous, but she's been grazing and gorging and
then upchucking.

Poor little gal. We're working with her. She's a soft little doll
otherwise.

Steve

Sounds like she needs supervision when out in the yard. Poor little
girl.

Priscilla

I called the nursery today, and this is a form of fungi. To be killed with
moldicide or common laundry soap. We do watch Lacy closely, and she is
getting better about eating anything. And we keep things out of her reach.
She is such a loving little dog. The other one, too. Those you get at
rescue centers seem so thankful. The other one will find any new scratch or
booboo you get, and lick it. I think she might be one of those cancer
finding dogs, as she finds my booboos many times before I notice them
myself.

Steve

Old 16-08-2011, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

I called the nursery today, and this is a form of fungi. To be killed with
moldicide or common laundry soap. We do watch Lacy closely, and she is
getting better about eating anything. And we keep things out of her reach.
She is such a loving little dog. The other one, too. Those you get at
rescue centers seem so thankful. The other one will find any new scratch or
booboo you get, and lick it. I think she might be one of those cancer
finding dogs, as she finds my booboos many times before I notice them
myself.

About eight years ago I adopted a feral kitten. He'd spent the first
3-4 months of his life living essentially under a dumpster with his mom
and his 4-5 siblings. (All were eventually trapped and placed in good
homes.) Well, OK, someone came by from time to time and opened cans of
catfood for them, but basically they were fending for themselves.

I spent 2.5 months socializing him in the guest room, away from my other
cats, so he would bond to me at least a little before he bonded with
them. That's all another story.

The story I wanted to tell you, though, is that at first, once he was
out in the general population, he stole food every chance he got. I was
once stuffing chicken breasts when I turned around just for a second.
Before I knew it, he was up on the counter, grabbed 1/2 a chicken
breast, jumped down, and was making a run for it. I grabbed him, pried
apart his jaws, removed the chicken breast, and said, "No!" Then I
rinsed off the chicken breast and continued stuffing it. What one
doesn't know can't hurt one.

It took him several years to learn that he really could count on me to
put down dry food for free feeding and wet food once a day. When the
food is down, he'll finish off anyone else's who walks away, but he
knows he'll get food now.

So, your little Lacy will probably eventually learn. It will take time
and patience, but it sounds like you've got those a-plenty.

One of the fun things with Sebbie (the former feral), aside from his
slowly getting more and more trusting (he will now stretch out in my lap
to be petted, and has even allowed me to lean down and kiss the top of
his head as he lay on the table!), is introducing him to new foods.
He'd never met seafood and, while the occasional dish of tuna seemed
like a bit of all right to him, the treats of shrimp or scallop that the
others got on rare occasions just puzzled him. However, he has now
discovered that that "bacon" stuff that his brother Benjamin will
receive gently in his jaws is pretty darned good, and Sebbie will scarf
up a small piece dropped on the floor in front of him.

It's a lot of fun making him happy, and I'll bet you'll have a good time
watching Lacy relax and enjoy being loved.

Priscilla
Old 16-08-2011, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote

It's a lot of fun making him happy, and I'll bet you'll have a good time
watching Lacy relax and enjoy being loved.

Priscilla

Today, the two of them were sitting up silently waiting for a tidbit from my
lunch. They were so patient and quiet, I had to go get a paper plate and
give them a nice chunk of my chicken pot pie. They are great friends, and
ate it all from the same plate. I've only seen them growl or nip at each
other when one gets too rough. They have been inseparable since they first
met.

Steve

Old 17-08-2011, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote

It's a lot of fun making him happy, and I'll bet you'll have a good time
watching Lacy relax and enjoy being loved.

Priscilla

Today, the two of them were sitting up silently waiting for a tidbit from my
lunch. They were so patient and quiet, I had to go get a paper plate and
give them a nice chunk of my chicken pot pie. They are great friends, and
ate it all from the same plate. I've only seen them growl or nip at each
other when one gets too rough. They have been inseparable since they first
met.

Steve

That's lovely. :-)

Priscilla
Old 18-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B[_6_] View Post
"I called the nursery today, and this is a form of fungi. To be killed with
moldicide or common laundry soap. We do watch Lacy closely, and she is
getting better about eating anything. And we keep things out of her reach.
She is such a loving little dog. The other one, too. Those you get at
rescue centers seem so thankful. The other one will find any new scratch or
booboo you get, and lick it. I think she might be one of those cancer
finding dogs, as she finds my booboos many times before I notice them
myself.
If it is a fungus growing on the leaves of the grass, that might be true, but I think it is unlikely to be the case. If it is a fungus growing in the ground, and producing fruiting bodies, in the manner of mushrooms, then spraying it won't stop it. There is no practical way of ridding your lawn of fungus like that. Your nursery made a sale and made you feel happy you were doing something about it, but it won't actually work.

[IMG] code is On

White stuff in my compost.. Mitulove United Kingdom 2 30-04-2009 01:44 AM
Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 04:07 PM
white stuff Maryann Albano Orchids 2 22-09-2003 11:52 PM
AHHHH!!! What is that white stuff on my Zucchini & Cuke Leaves??? Lattés Edible Gardening 3 29-07-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] White stuff David J. Bockman Bonsai 10 19-02-2003 03:03 PM