Old 26-08-2011, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Eggplant problem

I have grown eggplants in this garden for five years, and I rotate their
position each year. This year, half of my eggplants are having the same
problem to greater or lesser degrees. The leaves will wilt at the edges,
and eventually turn brown, progressing to the point where the entire leaf
dies. There is no insect pests that I'm aware other than a few slugs or
flea beatles, but this does not appear to be insect damage. It has not yet
killed the entire plant. Not every plant does this - the green eggplant
plants seem to be more susceptible to this than the purple ones (I grow
about six or seven different varieties). I've never see eggplants do this
before. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Old 26-08-2011, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article 31,
Zootal wrote:

I have grown eggplants in this garden for five years, and I rotate their
position each year. This year, half of my eggplants are having the same
problem to greater or lesser degrees. The leaves will wilt at the edges,
and eventually turn brown, progressing to the point where the entire leaf
dies. There is no insect pests that I'm aware other than a few slugs or
flea beatles, but this does not appear to be insect damage. It has not yet
killed the entire plant. Not every plant does this - the green eggplant
plants seem to be more susceptible to this than the purple ones (I grow
about six or seven different varieties). I've never see eggplants do this
before. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I've see something like that in tomatoes and basil. How often does the
family Solanaceae get planted in the same plot?
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 26-08-2011, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:

I have grown eggplants in this garden for five years, and I rotate their
position each year. This year, half of my eggplants are having the same
problem to greater or lesser degrees. The leaves will wilt at the edges,
and eventually turn brown, progressing to the point where the entire leaf
dies. There is no insect pests that I'm aware other than a few slugs or
flea beatles, but this does not appear to be insect damage. It has not yet
killed the entire plant. Not every plant does this - the green eggplant
plants seem to be more susceptible to this than the purple ones (I grow
about six or seven different varieties). I've never see eggplants do this
before. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Where are you? Eggplant needs hot... a few cold nights and they are
kaput.
Old 27-08-2011, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote in
:

Zootal wrote:

I have grown eggplants in this garden for five years, and I rotate
their position each year. This year, half of my eggplants are having
the same problem to greater or lesser degrees. The leaves will wilt at
the edges, and eventually turn brown, progressing to the point where
the entire leaf dies. There is no insect pests that I'm aware other
than a few slugs or flea beatles, but this does not appear to be
insect damage. It has not yet killed the entire plant. Not every plant
does this - the green eggplant plants seem to be more susceptible to
this than the purple ones (I grow about six or seven different
varieties). I've never see eggplants do this before. Does this sound
familiar to anyone?

Where are you? Eggplant needs hot... a few cold nights and they are
kaput.

Wilamette Valley, Oregon. Warm days in the 80s, cool nights. But I've grown
them here for five years, and this is the first time I've had problems.

My okra - that is another story - they hate the Northwest. Here it is the
end of August, and the warm weather is going to end in about 3 weeks, and
they are just now starting to blossom...

But eggplants have always done good here....
Old 27-08-2011, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Zootal wrote:

[...]

You don't say whether you've harvested any yet this season, if not
then I'd guess your weather hasn't been good for eggplant all season.
Eggplant does best with relatively dry weather and hot nights. If
this is your first poor eggplant year out of five than I'd say you are
doing well. With gardening one needs to accept that there will be
years when plants do not do well, otherwise you need a different
hobby, one that doesn't rely on nature, like knitting. Most years I
have such an abundance of eggplant that I can't eat even half, so I
give them away. But this summer began with too much rain an dcool
nights, than a six week drought with temps in the 90s, then back to
rainy and cold nights... so far I got four small eggplants and may get
a measly few more. Only my zucchini did okay this year, but not
really an abundance. As far as I'm concerned this vegetable growing
season was a loser and now is over, it will be an early fall.

Old 29-08-2011, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Verticillium wilt causes stunting and wilting of plants. Leaves turn
yellow along the margins, later turning brown and wilting. A
lengthwise cut of the infected stem shows dark-brown discoloration in
the vascular tissue.