Old 17-09-2011, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Roses - how far apart?

Would like to get some real world input (to augment on-line info)
about how far apart roses should be spaced.

The area is So. Calif Coastal. The soil is good; enriched over the
decades. The roses are in a path alongside the
(unused) driveway.

Over the many years, I have left as much as 2+ feet between them, but
wonder if they would be happy more closely spaced; then I could get in
a few more plants. None of these are wild Floribunda; most are
reasonable-sized.

Appreciate any advice.

HB
Old 18-09-2011, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Would like to get some real world input (to augment on-line info)
about how far apart roses should be spaced.

The area is So. Calif Coastal. The soil is good; enriched over the
decades. The roses are in a path alongside the
(unused) driveway.

Over the many years, I have left as much as 2+ feet between them, but
wonder if they would be happy more closely spaced; then I could get in
a few more plants. None of these are wild Floribunda; most are
reasonable-sized.

Appreciate any advice.

HB

What do you mean by 2+ feet between them? Is that 2 ft between centres of
each plant or between the outermost tips of the branches?

Old 23-09-2011, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 17, 4:10*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Would like to get some real world input (to augment on-line info)
about how far apart roses should be spaced.

The area is So. Calif Coastal. *The soil is good; enriched over the
decades. *The roses are in a path alongside the
(unused) driveway.

Over the many years, I have left as much as *2+ feet between them, but
wonder if they would be happy more closely spaced; then I could get in
a few more plants. *None of these are wild Floribunda; most are
reasonable-sized.

Appreciate any advice.

HB

What do you mean by 2+ feet between them? *Is that 2 ft between centres of
each plant or between the outermost tips of the branches?

****Most of them are 2+ft- sometimes 3 ft. on center, not between
outermost tips.

****The new ones I just put in are barely 2 ft on center. They are
doing very well; blooming up a storm. However, their tips are
touching. My gardener said 3 ft. but also said the new ones look
OK. Do I need to move them? (They occupy the place of a couple of
nothing Floribundas; blooms were not that attractive; plants
sprawled.)

NOTE: I am using asterisks to set off my replies, because something
went wrong with a recent reinstallation of my system; carats have
disappeared. Geek is not answering my pleas. Any ideas how to get
carats back?

HB
Old 23-09-2011, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

You have two potential problems. If too close you may get root and/or
branch competition which can prevent them from reaching their maximum size
and vigour. Competion for nutrients and water you can overcome to some
extent by feeding and watering. The second issue is air circulation. If
you get humid damp weather they may be more susceptible to fungal attack if
there is less air circulation.

NOTE: I am using asterisks to set off my replies, because something
went wrong with a recent reinstallation of my system; carats have
disappeared. Geek is not answering my pleas. Any ideas how to get
carats back?

HB

Look up help for your newsreader under 'replies' or 'quoting'. You need to
tell it to use carets (or whatever character) when quoting text in replies.

Old 24-09-2011, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/23/11 11:16 AM, Higgs Boson wrote [in part]:

NOTE: I am using asterisks to set off my replies, because something
went wrong with a recent reinstallation of my system; carats have
disappeared. Geek is not answering my pleas. Any ideas how to get
carats back?

Try using a real newsgroup reader instead of participating via Google
Groups. I use Thunderbird from http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/.
It's free. You might also look at
http://www.big-8.org/wiki/Newsreaders, which lists many other
newsgroup readers.