Old 30-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered User

Smile Cambridge Favourite

Hi again,
I am having a second crop of my strawberries (Cambridge Favourite). The fruit is quite large and healthy looking, but when I press the fruit it feels a bit squashy, and doesn't have much of a strawberry smell. The first crop in June was fine, I even made jam for the first time. Are these second crop strawberries OK to eat.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cambridge Favourite

Greenveg wrote:
Hi again,
I am having a second crop of my strawberries (Cambridge Favourite).
The fruit is quite large and healthy looking, but when I press the
fruit it feels a bit squashy, and doesn't have much of a strawberry
smell. The first crop in June was fine, I even made jam for the first
time. Are these second crop strawberries OK to eat.

What do you suppose might be harmful about them?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Greenveg wrote:
Hi again,
I am having a second crop of my strawberries (Cambridge Favourite).
The fruit is quite large and healthy looking, but when I press the
fruit it feels a bit squashy, and doesn't have much of a strawberry
smell. The first crop in June was fine, I even made jam for the first
time. Are these second crop strawberries OK to eat.

I'm sure they are fine. My strawbarries taste kind of weak for the first crop
and much better for the second.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
Greenveg wrote:
Hi again,
I am having a second crop of my strawberries (Cambridge Favourite).
The fruit is quite large and healthy looking, but when I press the
fruit it feels a bit squashy, and doesn't have much of a strawberry
smell. The first crop in June was fine, I even made jam for the first
time. Are these second crop strawberries OK to eat.

What do you suppose might be harmful about them?

I don't think that they are harmful. They just don't look as appealing as the first crop, and it got me wondering.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenveg View Post
Hi again,
I am having a second crop of my strawberries (Cambridge Favourite). The fruit is quite large and healthy looking, but when I press the fruit it feels a bit squashy, and doesn't have much of a strawberry smell. The first crop in June was fine, I even made jam for the first time. Are these second crop strawberries OK to eat.
Hi Greenveg, yes, they will be fine but maybe not as much flavour as the june crop ? Try sprinkling them with some balsamic vinegar, it will maximise the flavour.
Lannerman.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Greenveg, yes, they will be fine but maybe not as much flavour as the june crop ? Try sprinkling them with some balsamic vinegar, it will maximise the flavour.
Lannerman.
I decided to make jam with them, and when they started to boil, the aroma of the strawberries came through. Thanks.