Old 21-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Registered User

Smile University Project - Survey Required Please Help

Hi Guys,

My name is Matt Oakley and I am a final year Product design Engineer at Loughborough University. I am currently starting a project to design a product, which aides plant watering. I need some customer focused research and would really appreciate 5 minutes of your time. I have setup a web based survey, which takes only a few minutes and is very simple. It can be found at the folowing address:

Market Research - Product Template Survey

I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 21-10-2011, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default University Project - Survey Required Please Help

Matt_UniStudent wrote:
Hi Guys,

My name is Matt Oakley and I am a final year Product design Engineer
at Loughborough University. I am currently starting a project to
design a product, which aides plant watering. I need some customer
focused research and would really appreciate 5 minutes of your time.
I have setup a web based survey, which takes only a few minutes and
is very simple. It can be found at the folowing address:

'Market Research - Product Template Survey'
(http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q978N76)

I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Question #1

1. How often do you water plants in your garden?

Daily
2-3 Time per Week
Weekly
Monthly
Never

The best answer is not offered. Before you start to design a watering
system you should probably know why this is so.

The best answer is "When it is needed" which for any garden depends on the
time of year and weather. Look up 'evapotranspiration'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evapotranspiration

In my case the frequency would vary from 3 days to 90 days. But if people
know that and live in that sort of climate your product has no market. But
this is a well trodden path you are going down so nothing new there.

David

Old 23-10-2011, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Matt_UniStudent wrote:
[...]

Trust me. David is being kind. Some of us are a lot less supportive.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 23-10-2011, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Matt_UniStudent wrote:

snip

The best answer is "When it is needed" which for any garden depends on
the time of year and weather. Look up 'evapotranspiration'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evapotranspiration

You had previously mentioned trimming back foliage to cut down on water
loss and that has gotten me thinking about my hydrangeas.

The Oak Leaf is well established and does well, but my regular old
hydrangea often has droopy leaves. It's in a shady protected spot with
little direct sun, and has been in for a few years, but this need for
water persists.

Should I thin it out, or do you have any other suggestions?

With water over 2 cents/gallon, I'm in a water conservation mode.

Jeff
Atlanta, Piedmont 7B

Old 23-10-2011, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

j wrote:
Matt_UniStudent wrote:

snip

The best answer is "When it is needed" which for any garden depends
on the time of year and weather. Look up 'evapotranspiration'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evapotranspiration

You had previously mentioned trimming back foliage to cut down on
water loss and that has gotten me thinking about my hydrangeas.

The Oak Leaf is well established and does well, but my regular old
hydrangea often has droopy leaves. It's in a shady protected spot with
little direct sun, and has been in for a few years, but this need for
water persists.

Should I thin it out, or do you have any other suggestions?

Hydrangeas love/need water. I don't grow them but they do need trimming
from time to time to keep them compact. If you do this at a time that
doesn't interfere with flowering you should get some improvement. Other
than that mulch heavily and avoid high nitrogen fertiliser that will put on
lots of soft leafy growth. Or replace them with a less water-needy shrub.

With water over 2 cents/gallon, I'm in a water conservation mode.

Jeff
Atlanta, Piedmont 7B

You could try capturing your roof water but to attempt to do a whole garden
you need to have large tanks/ponds and to rearrange your roof plumbing so it
may not be cost effective, particlaurly if you pay somebody to do it. The
common idea of running a downpipe into a 200 litre (50 gal US) drum is cheap
and appealing but only gives enough to water a few tubs or a *very* small
plot.

David